posting a bike

matt-b

Old School Hero
i sold my bike on ebay, so am looking to send it by post.
the cheapest i can find is tnt at about £40...

can anyone recommend anyone cheaper?

thanks, matt

Its via parcel force I think, its on their site who they use. But as they collect and deliver next day recorded, can't go wrong

Best thing to do is to pop down to your local bicycle shoppe and ask them for an old bike box,they usually have a few.

Next,strip the bike down so the bars/forks/wheels and pedals are removed[with the bars just leave the cables attached and wrap it inside the front triangle]

Put everything in said box-If theres still room at one end bring out the stanley knife[ask an adult if unsure better still someone sensible ;)]
cut the box so you can push one end closer and a roll of sticky later you have a smaller box.

Pack and voids with foam,bubblewrap,newspaper or anything else you can think of to brace it and stop the box from collapsing if handled roughly
[I find rolled up lengths of cardboard placed at right angles to the bike and sticky'd in the best way to support it]

Seal it up,address it and take it to the postoffice to be weighed[you dont have to say your actually going to send it with them but only getting a weight/cheapest PO price bu8t dont tell them that till theyve weighed it ;)]

Info on weight and dimensions in hand its time to phone around to get the best price,or online price checker on the couriers website.So much easier.

Where sending,get the company's[PO,whatever] fragile stickers put on,dont just write fragile-Thats an invite to the human mind :LOL: :LOL:

I bought a cheap set of 0-20Kg scales from ebay for £5. Now I know teh weight of everything !
Also teh weighth of teh parcel tends to be quite generous with most couriers.So, if it don't all fit in one box, strap two together,for the same cost. The limiting factor is weight and length.

MyHermes.co.uk They do have some size/weight restrictions so best check the site but very good service and excellent prices. I have used them to send air rifles. Just checked max weight is 15kg max lenght is 1.2m but even the biggest parcel is only £6.99 + vat. Well worth checking out if send anything. Maybe not as quick as rm/tnt but a damn site cheaper.

paddy

Word of warning with myhermes. In many parts of teh country they use contratc staff to pick up parcels. Whilst you book on line, the date they pick it up can be a bit random. You are then faced with calling them on a premium rate number for some guy to tell you " that it'll be picked up tomorrow" Even when you have book 2 days before. I'm sure they will get better :shock:

I stand by my recommendations for Paisley Freight.

If you are 'clever' you can get away with sending for much less than their standard bike charge, which is still reasonable at £21.99.

Back