Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:20 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:46 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Location: Lurking in the bushes at the bottom of your mums garden....
godders wrote:
warpedboy2 wrote:
Time was, when out on the trail, (or even on the road) cyclists used to say hello, or at the very least nod their heads. The only exception to this (in my experience) was a small number of "serious" roadies.

Now, (at least in sussex) hardly anybody reciprocates. What happened has happened in the last ten years? ( Or is it because i'm down south now?)

Today this was taken to a whole new level. On the south downs way there are gates. Lots of em. Usually halfway down a downhill too ( yeah thanks for that....). Anyway, i'm aproaching a gate coming up hill, and spot another rider in the distance coming doenhill. So, being a kind courteous soul, I opened the gate, and waited for him to come through before continuing on my way. Not only did he not say thanks, the t*sser did'nt even acknowledge that I was there.

Has anybody else experienced behavior like this, or is it just around the south downs?

Go back to that gate over the next few weeks the t*sser probably rides the same route week in week out ....wait till he is about five yards from the gate ......and then let it shut :wink:

My thoughts exactly :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:38 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I think we may have a friendlier vibe up here, nothing to do with being Scots but because we are remote, same as was mentioned about the remote parts of England.

When I bang up to another biker on a stretch of nowhere there is no way we are not having a yarn.

My wife actually made her best friend running out in the middle of nowhere in Tanzania, turned out to live less than three streets from us in London!

We should all unite as cyclists, or in whatever way we can.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:17 pm 
Old School Hero

godders wrote:
Go back to that gate over the next few weeks the t*sser probably rides the same route week in week out ....wait till he is about five yards from the gate ......and then let it shut :wink:

In the words of Monty Burns- Excellent :twisted: :lol:

Not had any trouble round here, i normally speak unless its uphill then it a nod! :oops: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:29 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

the big divide i see is what john mentioned.

went out with a couple of mates, orange 5, specialized pitch and me on my wreck of a diamond back.

met a bunch of blokes on high end full sus bits and offered assistance as they were fixing a bike. they had a chat with my modern mates, didnt even say hello to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

lewis1641 wrote:
the big divide i see is what john mentioned.

went out with a couple of mates, orange 5, specialized pitch and me on my wreck of a diamond back.

met a bunch of blokes on high end full sus bits and offered assistance as they were fixing a bike. they had a chat with my modern mates, didnt even say hello to me

They probably thought you were a slightly simple person that they had taken pity on and invited along out of guilt.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:52 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Generally folk reciprocate the greetings, you do get some grumpy sods, some stuck up gits, and others who seem too scared to reply though.

I like the "fashion cyclists" best though, the all the gear & no idea types, I can see them visibly deflate when I hoon past them on my shonky 90's hardtail :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I sometimes go for a few miles up the towpath in between playing in the woods and have to say that most other bikers on there are the most stuck up miserable t***s I've ever met, must be a towpath thing as I never seem to get it in the Dales .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:22 pm 
Retro Guru

[quote="brocklanders023"][quote="rosstheboss"]"Allan!!! Allan!!! There is a bell-less bicycle approaching!!!!"
"Yes there is dear!!!"

"Tsk"

[/quote]

PMSL, coffee all over the laptop! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote] i 2nd that ..very funny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:23 pm 
Retro Guru

[quote="Tazio"][quote="lewis1641"]the big divide i see is what john mentioned.

met a bunch of blokes on high end full sus bits and offered assistance as they were fixing a bike. they had a chat with my modern mates, didnt even say hello to me[/quote]

They probably thought you were a slightly simple person that they had taken pity on and invited along out of guilt.

:D[/quote] :lol: :lol: :P :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 pm 
Retro Guru

ive always been brought to treat people like you want to be treated, if i see another person having problems i always try and offer some assistance, a simple hello or thank you dosent cost a penny, but you always get the odd few

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next