My lost in time FSR

not_fat_matt

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello all, got pointed in the direction of this forum by a helpful fella in a discussion about a few upgrades for my bike, what a place!!! :cool:

The bike is a Specialized FSR comp that was brought back in 99 IIRC (98 or 99 model, cant be 100pc) that only cover about 150miles before it got put away in my folks garage. The the rest of my life carried on, and its stayed pretty much unused until a few weeks ago when a few of my mates decided to get bikes

Put some air in the tyres (originals!) some lube on the chain and took it for a spin - you'd never know it had sat for all those years, i expected at least the fork seals to be duff (suspect the forks could do with a service tho)

Excuse the poor pictures :)

dscf5389i.jpg

dscf5390a.jpg

dscf5391.jpg

dscf5392.jpg

dscf5393.jpg

dscf5394.jpg

dscf5395d.jpg

superstu":s0ug6mjd said:
Not a fan of bar ends on risers though!

Yeah i think they will be coming off! Throw back from my last bike, the bars seem really narrow compared to more modern bikes too, so i suspect i may have cut them down at some point as well :facepalm:

Maybe, you would be surprised how wide bars are nowadays though (upto 800mm currently, silly people).

cyfa2809":3qcpip5i said:
Maybe, you would be surprised how wide bars are nowadays though (upto 800mm currently, silly people).
I think you may have forgotten how wide really old skool bars were, Klunker bars were just as silly wide IIRC ;)

Wider bars and a shorter stem give very good leverage, but if the trails you ride are tight and technical you may end up clonking your bars on trees!

Anyway, a very nice example of the FSR there, really minty condition. Just needs some pics in it's natural environment with mud on it :D

800mm!! my current ones measure about 540mm in between the bar ends :shock: 'When i were a lad' it used to be a case of having the bars narrow, usually the width of your shoulders, wide bars were not good on the narrow tree lined single track tracks we used to play on!

Yeah true they did used to be longer (cruiser style long).

Longer bars = more leverage yes, but i find less feedback and sensitivity.

By golly though 540mm is pretty short :shock:

Back