Fox RP23 or similar on a 99 FSR?

not_fat_matt

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Getting back into biking and im trying to do some upgrading to my OE spec 99 FSR Comp, ideally aiming for a better all rounder, able to cope with XC work (what i do the most) but also some of the mild jumps humps and bumps on the DH tracks

Never been able to ride without the bobbing rear end, and i cant get this bike to climb anywhere near as well as my old hardtail, so im after something with a lock-out or pedalpro-like system for going up hills.

Any recommendations? Bike has the stock OE Rock Shox unit currently

Thanks

My rp23 is overlooked but i use it often as my bike has concentric bb so get massive bob.
I guess if i havent noticed it, it works well :)

My old x fusion 02 shock was also pretty good too!

Rock Shox Monarch RT3 costs about half and does pretty much the same - and doesn't have to go back to Fox to be serviced either.

Very happy with mine.

dbmtb":2nq86pxz said:
Rock Shox Monarch RT3 costs about half and does pretty much the same - and doesn't have to go back to Fox to be serviced either.

Very happy with mine.
In the UK there are several fork & shock companies who can service Fox parts, Although Mojo Suspension are the official UK importer/service agent for Fox you can get the RP23 serviced at Loco Tuning which is cheaper than Mojo (IIRC the fella who runs Loco is an ex employee of Mojo)

RP23 is one of the best rear shocks on the market, I have used them on 3 bikes and they have been flawless even without any servicing

Rockshox monarch 4.2 is a great shock for the money, on a par with the rp23 according to spec/reviews.
Eliminates pedal bob in a similar way to propedal on fox shocks. That said, I only bought this to replace a faulty rp2, which had worked well before the damping went.

You may have problems with mounting it on the fsr and being able to access the lockout lever. Otherwise they are brilliant shocks. You may get one cheaper, but you may have to have it revalved to suit the frame design

Muchos thanks for the replys guys

P20":2jiy6j6j said:
You may have problems with mounting it on the fsr and being able to access the lockout lever. Otherwise they are brilliant shocks. You may get one cheaper, but you may have to have it revalved to suit the frame design

I had wandered this, im 99% sure ive seen a picture of the shock mounted 180degs to normal - but i cant find the damn picture now!

Back