Is this fork tapered?

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Picked up some of the boardman parts,namely a nice carbon fork with carbon steerer.
The steerer is full carbon fibre and 1 1/8" [not the tapered version] measures about 400mm well i would say exactly 400mm but its not easy because to the curve but it suppose its close enough

The tyre fitted is shwalbe @ 1.50 and theres not much room either side,maybe 12 or 15mm each
Wheel fitted is a hope mtb wheel
I honestly haven't got a clue about this,the clearance at the sides seems to point to hybrid, the clearance at the top[60mm] could be either mtb or hybrid
Did they do an MTB full carbon fork?

I was thinking of using it to build a lightweight 1x8 town runabout but not sure if it would be ok to fit a hybrid fork if thats what it is indeed to an mtb frame,though I cant see there being a problem as its disc only.

The other thing was i thought all boardman hybrids were the tapered steerer[yeah great idea :roll: ] whereas this is clearly 1 1/8"[bulge for the crown race is 31.8mm so thats correct ]

Help

PS-
Not intending to run that 185mm rotor ;)

Attachments

• Boardman carbon forks 003 (Large).JPG
    Boardman carbon forks 003 (Large).JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,167
  • boardman fork 001 (Large).JPG
    boardman fork 001 (Large).JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,167
Looks like it'll be fine. The only thing that would limit you would be canti bosses if it had any. The tyre clearance and the fact it's disc ready suggest that it might be a fork for the new generation of now UCI-legal cross bikes with disc brakes.

You might find that the max rotor size on a lot of rigid carbon forks is 160mm but it sounds like you're onto that.

Looks a nice fork. Probably just as good a Ritchey one that would no doubt cost £300.

its off one of the boredham hybrids that run 700c. from the last batch though. only the 11 spec bikes use tapered.

wynne":3ip7w6a4 said:
Looks a nice fork. Probably just as good a Ritchey one that would no doubt cost £300.

Cheers.
I had a pace rc-31 for a while and had to overcome a bit of fear to ride them on bumpy ground but after a while you realised their strength.This is a better shape than the pace,certainly looks far stiffer
Just need to sell some bits to fund the frame for this

if that is a 26 inch wheel/tyre combo fitted, then going by the amount of celarance between tyre and crown, it ain't mrb fork, well, not for 26 in tyres.

could be hybrid, 29er or cylclo corss fork.

Thats 700c although technically the wheel size does not define it as a hybrid more the overall purpose and design of the bike.

Mind you as its disc specific use whatever wheels you can get away with for the style of bike you choose ;)

Got a new problem :cry:
The bulge at the base of the steerer is really wide.

The steerer is 1 1/8" [28.8mm]at the top but at the bottom where the crown race fits it is about 33.20mm[about]not sure if thats 1 1/4" or 1 3/8"
Does this make it a tapered steerer that needs the frame to be the same. :?
most of the other tapered steerers ive seen have a very pronounced taper not just a fat bit at the bottom.

If this is the case and it is a taper then its little use to me :( last hope is to email boardman and ask them,which ive just done,awaiting an answer.

Attachments

• boardman fork 003 (Large).JPG
    boardman fork 003 (Large).JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • boardman fork 002 (Large).JPG
    boardman fork 002 (Large).JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,031
Back