how do YOU remove the seals from 2002 boxxer forks

dan28

Senior Retro Guru
i ve taken all the internals out i want to seperate the lowers from the stansions
i ve tried prizeing up the seal with a small screw driver but the seals are in very tight an it hasnt moved whats the best way to remove them

Isnt it recommended to use a spanner? Like 17mm or so? Might be wrong but sure ive seen that before.

First off, if you want the stanchions out of the lower legs you don't need to remove any seals just undo the lower legs bolts and remove.

When the stanchions are out, in the lower leg you can heat the dust seal with a hair dryer and lever it out, the oil seal underneath will be tight but again, a decent taped over screwdriver as a lever on the inside edge should pop them out without too much fuss. I needed heat on mine but then they were easy.

if i ve undone the lower leg bolts but the stansions wont pull out i thought there must be a circlip lurking under the seal an thats what was holding them in

Try a bigger screwdriver.Less flex in the shaft.
where the shaft is pretty beefy,and wrap the shaft where it contacts the lowers so it doesnt mark or damage it.I use about 20 wraps around,it has to be pretty well padded or it will leave its mark.
You could try putting it in the freezer for 1/2 hour then trying it.cold shrinks the seal slightly.If you do the same with the new seals they will slot in far easier[well lubed with fork oil]

dan28":ic8x71zg said:
if i ve undone the lower leg bolts but the stansions wont pull out i thought there must be a circlip lurking under the seal an thats what was holding them in

Bit late replying but...

Put the bolts back in the bottom a few turns, so that there is room between the bolt and the lowers (space to slide) then whack the bolts with a plastic hammer or something. They are always stuck like this, the official manual says to tap them loose then the stanchions will withdraw.

Back