Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:56 am 
Retro Guru

I took my first modern full susser out last week. On the downhills I was king, on everything else I cried like a baby. They definitely take some getting used to and I guess you have to modify your thinking and performance accordingly. What got me was the sheer speed you can attack technical sections and make it through to the other side in one piece. I adore my retro rides and will forgive them for a lot but modern bikes have it in the braking and sheer bluntness you can pilot them with.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Russell wrote:
... for the first time.

A very modern 160mm travel thing.

Oh my God.

So smooth,

So fast.

I want.

^^^ This.

I demo'd a £3.3k Lapierre Spicy 516 160mm travel last year.

I'm now considering having a first-born just so I can sell it to get one.

For now my 5" travel Trance X will have to do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:10 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I love my Orange 5 and am looking forward to trying out my new DT Swiss forks :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:08 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

dyna-ti wrote:

Im still a full sus virgin :oops:

:mrgreen:

so am i, and i have 2 full sus frames in the garage... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:37 pm 
Retro Guru

Love my full suspension Specialized and luckily my bike is really light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:35 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I was a partial full suss convert even way back 'in the day'.

Once there were affordable lightweight full lock out options I was there full time.

The ultimate all round bike is a full susser, no matter how much I love hardtails and rigids.

There is hardly a route I ride that works for a rigid, some are fine for hard tail but there are so many advantages to riding full suss in terms of traction and comfort that I can't see me using anything else when up here, except for nipping to the shops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:16 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Cannock is where I seem to do most of my riding. The rigid 1988 Saracen managed to cope very well with 3 laps of the new Follow the Dog this weekend. I however, didn't. Sure, I managed to overtake more often than I was over taken but it hurt. I have blisters from holding the bars and I couldn't feel my arms from the bashing and braking! Damned if I could get the thing to stop when I needed to, I only managed to moderate my progress before hitting bits I would rather walk.

I pulled in on a rutted downhill as I heard another rider rapidly approaching. "Thanks mister," Came a pubescent voice as a lad went past; the shame! I did kick his sorry ass on the next long climb though.

My point is this. I have never ridden a full suss bike. I have never ridden disc brakes. Should I carry on while bike and body can (a bit) or, should I get something modern before I'm too old to enjoy it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:16 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Iwasgoodonce wrote:
Should I carry on while bike and body can (a bit) or, should I get something modern before I'm too old to enjoy it?

I'd suggest the latter option. Just keep in mind that the old bikes are fun too, as it's easy to leave them in the shed because the modern toy rides more smoothly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 pm 
Old School Grand Master

jonnyboy666 wrote:
disagree, come ride here, you'll see what i mean! there is pretty much nothing to brake for and having done my training route of 23 miles around the new forest on almost all my 15 or so mountain bikes the fastest has been on my vitamin t2 (completely rigid)

okey dokes - post me your route and I will do it on my FS bike but only if it is offroad not on these tarmac small roads that litter the NF ... although I am not sure how I can demonstrate the FS is quicker than your rigid (went through the NF yesterday on the way to Boscombe beach).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:38 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I did the full Red Route at Dalby this weekend and the Pace just battered me to death... It was a pleasure then when was offered to try one of the riders Yeti 140mm travel beast. The leg and arm fatigue went and it climbed amazngly well. Pure traction and i could keep in my seat and just pump on the pedals with the minimum of bob.

Up until that point i'd been so against full sus.. hardtails rule!!! But after that, my feelings are starting to change.

I feel dirty... :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next