Help! Snapped Phil Wood hub axle!

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The axle on my Phil Wood SS specific rear hub has snapped at the axle ends.

Anybody know where I can get a replacement? Is it a standard piece of kit or unique to Phil Wood? :(

Anybody got any exploded diagrams as well?

2z7ei2q.jpg

doubly gutting:

From Sheldon Brown's website:

Phil Wood: A California-based maker of very high quality bicycle parts. Phil Wood is best known for hubs, which were the first modern cartridge-bearing hubs, using large diameter axles that never bend or break. Many cyclists consider these hubs the finest available.

:roll: well mine did.

Wow. Thats the first time I've seen a Phil hub break. They are usually nuke proof. Try Aspire Velotech in the states for spares. Very helpful guys.

Si

pretty sure you can contact Phil Wood directlly, wonder what their reaction will be.
Good luck

Cheers Roy

Thanks guys - have tried both, await replies.

Yes - everything I've heard says they shouldn't snap :evil:

No idea - I bought them second hand. Seemed OK when I bought it. I never took it apart before installing on bike.

Phil Wood do have lifetime guarantees but I do not have the original sales receipt so not holding out... :(

UPDATE: :D

I rang them just now as they are a few hours behind, having sent a photo via email. They said, no problem, just send the hub down to their importer in the UK (Brick Lane Cycles) and they'll fix it for free :D

Thumbs up for Phil Wood customer service :D :D

... using large diameter axles that never bend or break ...
Sure. And the Titanic can't sink.

No matter how good it's been designed, any part can fail. Unless these things start breaking on a regular basis, I'd consider it an isolated incident. Maybe an air bubble in the piece that they machined the axle from?

I'm sure they'll investigate your axle, but doubt that you'll get an explanation of what went wrong or why it failed.

Back