What 700c disc wheels?

Thorpie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have decided that the Day One Alfine is a little heavy and I want something a little lighter and faster for commuting on. I am pricing up a custom Croix de fer for the job. The only thing I am having difficulty with is wheels. I am amazed at the total lack of disk only 700c options, there is little or nothing out there. I don't want noisy hope hubs and I don't want tubeless rims so what are my options, ideas please!

Trevor.

There are a few options, check out the net for cyclocross disc wheels, this can be a good place to start.

FSA has a set of road disc wheels. FSA RD-460

Second, get a set built up for yourself. Go with MTB hubs and choose the rim you want and have them built up. MTB hubs are a bit heavier for obvious reasons and the rear spacing is 135mm compared to 130 for road hubs. If you are having a custom frame made, it should be easy for the frame builder to reset the rear to 135 for the new wheels.

I believe Novatec sells a 130mm rear hub disc for disc.

Ian

The frame will be a stock Genesis Croix De Fer not sure what the spacing is but it comes standard with Tiagra hubs. Believe me I have scoured the web and there ain't much off the shelf. Just waiting to hear back from a couple of wheel builders.

Trevor.

Build them. Disc hubs (rear could be mildly tricky, the CdF is almost certainly 130mm back end), double-butted stainless spokes, Mavic Open Pros.

Croix de fer rear end is 135mm, it doesn't have Tiagra disc hubs as on the website, that is a typo error. I have decided to go with Hope hubs after all with Stans Crest 29er rims (going to run with tubes not tubeless). This was on the advice of Si at 18bikes and they come ready built as Hope Hoops from Hope, the Stans get excellent reviews as well.

Trevor.

Back