Rim choice?

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not sure which way to go?...

Mavic XC717 or Stans ZTR 355? Going to be using Rim Brakes but fancy Tubeless for a RetroMod build. Stans seem pretty prevalent in US Forums (which makes sense) & Mavics are just reliable...am lightweight so don't need anything bombproof.

Any pointers?

717 for me strong and light have 3 waiting to be built. 405 grams or Ringle are bit lighter at 391 grams

would the use of rim brakes not rule out tubeless since the tyre would be seated on the rim that would be the braking area

im no expert but surely the heat from braking would affect the seal

bigmick":2ktjgrnx said:
would the use of rim brakes not rule out tubeless since the tyre would be seated on the rim that would be the braking area

im no expert but surely the heat from braking would affect the seal

I've used tubeless systems with rim brakes on Mavic 717 and 261 rims and never had any problems.

Thanks for the replies...
Going to play safe & go with Mavics. Never really ran anything else except when they've been a stock model on a complete bike.

Tubeless was just a suck & see as I've never done it?...Sure it's cheaper for Tubes and not concerned with weight...

The stans are more expensive, but they are easier to seal. I've also got mavic crosslands(a variation on the 717) that run the older rim strips and tubeless. They are harder to seal, but they do work. The stans are a fair bit lighter too

P20
Now that's thrown me...I'm going to have to discuss with the builder. TBH I don't need tubeless, might save it for a 29er...;)

Back