What new wheels should I get?

v12jat

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I want a new pair of wheels to stick on my Scott scale.

Been looking at:

Hope pro2 / mavic xc717 @ £285

Superstar switch evo / stans crest @ £220

Not sure which ones I should get! head says spend the extra on the hopes as they are supposed to be reliable as, plus the gold hubs i fancy will match my hope bottom bracket, but seen mixed reviews on the superstars, although they are light and seem good value for money!

Any other alternatives I have missed? advice appreciated! :D

Hope Mavic good. Had those. Also look at Sun-Ringle hubs & rims

I bought a set of the Superstar wheels a few years ago and gave them a good bit of stick and they never faultered. Great wheels for the money. However, given the similar price I recon I'd go Hope over them. Brand snobbery on my part really though.

Had the mavic rims, very nice too. Cant comment on superstar but they do put out a lot of gear in defense of their bad reviews

Or custom with Hopes and Mavic 819 UST rims?

Only problem with Hope is there's no going back afterwards. Everything else just sucks.

I Think its gonna be the hope/717's! those sun ringle ones do look pretty smart but i dont know too much about them though..

The superstars/stans do look good value, but the reviews do put me off! :roll: i think for the extra £65 the hopes will be better!

Everyone i know who has bikes round my way swears by hope stuff, plus it'll match my bottom bracket too!!!

Appreciate the help! :cool:

I have hope on mavic rims, built 6 years ago and they are wonderfull. They where a custom build but the builder built them with 2.0mm plain guage spokes. They need a true now and a spoke replacing. If I was doing this for a customer or for my self now I would use Spaim Race spokes. Wait a minute thats what hop use.

Buy the Hopes with Mavic rims you won't regret it.

dbmtb":2vyq9cno said:
Only problem with Hope is there's no going back afterwards. Everything else just sucks.

Apart from Chris King, Royce and Phil Wood hubs.

Back