Whats in the shadows?

biggins

Retro Guru
I about to but a new shimano rear mech, but have the choice of 2, shadow or non shadow?

I understand that the shadow rear mech sits closer to the bike, making it not so prone to rocks etc. But apart from that what is the difference? Do they both work with standard shimano shifters?

Cheers

In a word yes, they are less prone to snagging twigs on the trail as the body of the mech is angled to much the same as the cassette and sits very close

Shadow on the right
shimanoshadowtechnology.jpg

Brilliant picture to explain. I hadn't realised the difference myself & that makes it perfectly clear

Thanks.

shadow is lighter too plus the cable does not need to loop as much - buy the shadow.

Oooh that is a goo dpic. Before i knew that i thought it was the way it wont 'bottom out' on the chainstay like the non shadow ones can. (they do on a frame i have and have since had to use SRAM as it seems to be an inbuilt feature which i thought the shadow mechs copied - in that it will bottom itsef out before it hits chainstay)

shadow mechs are great except if using with older shimano shifters that dont have barrel adjusters....

jamabikes":36apzkkd said:
shadow mechs are great except if using with older shimano shifters that dont have barrel adjusters....

ture - but if the cable is set up correctly, there is more thn enough adjustment on the shifter unit itself. Good riddance in my opinion - I could never see the point of the second adjsuter, I mean front shifters didn't have one.

This is what a shadow should look like on largest rear, the whole body is close to the cassette

DSCF9511.jpg

I really dont think there is any need to be honest, if you snag it on a low branch or rock, it will break the same as a conventional mech ;)

cyfa2809":39h0petr said:
So a case of over-engineered then?

Not really, I would have preffered a none shadow XTR with carbon cage to keep costs down, just looked on ebay and the M972 is still silly money, more than the latest M980 ten speed mechs :shock:

They are nice thoug and the change is ever so sweet with that shimano click ;)

DSCF9461.jpg

:shock: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-XTR-M ... 2a13036d26

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back