Rear Suspension Travel - Dumb question

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I have an Orange MrXC - which looks like this
img_7093_898.jpg

As you can see, there are two positions at the front to mount the shock.

Will mounting the shock in the lower hole - give me more or less travel?

Thanks in advance!

My guess is the same travel in both. Your shock will still have the same stroke so should get the same travel. I think the shock mounting holes are to change the geometry. Lower hole will make BB higher and geometry steeper and the upper hole lower and slacker. Thats how it works on Banshees anyway.

Dr S":2q27ngen said:
My guess is the same travel in both. Your shock will still have the same stroke so should get the same travel. I think the shock mounting holes are to change the geometry. Lower hole will make BB higher and geometry steeper and the upper hole lower and slacker. Thats how it works on Banshees anyway.

This makes sense. I was dubbed into believing more holes = different travel amounts. How stupid of me :oops:

OK - interesting.
So if I had a new shock with a slightly longer stroke - 55mm - as long as the rear wheel didn't snag the frame when fully compressed - it would be better to use the lower mount?

My logic being, if the shocks are both 200mm e-2-e, a shock with a 55mm stroke compresses more than one with 50mm - which means when fully compressed, the BB will be lower?

So use the lower mount hole to maintain the height of the BB at full travel.

if its all to do with shock stroke why do betd links make a big difference

also my 2002 sworks has 2 links from factory one for 90mm travel other for 75

your orange is probably the same only with 2 holes instead of 2 link arms

I'm not sure about the Mr XC, but I know the Patriot used to have multiple holes for different travel amounts. I suspect that Orange have done the same here on your Mr XC.

If you want the definative answer, email or call Orange themselves. They are very helpful with this kind of stuff

Gee Chris thanks - hadn't thought of that.
As you're so helpful, perhaps you could pop round and give me a hand :roll: :roll:

Latest posts

Back