Hello, i am after some advice, bought a 98 FSR Comp.

Hi, i usually ride about on my 2011 Boardman Pro Hardtail, but i was after a new project and fancied a cheap project to build up into a more downhill type of machine, i scoured the classifieds and i picked a 1998 FSR Comp today (mango) and i am after some feedback on the parts currently fitted.

The bike to me looks like somebody has started to modify it, but then stopped for whatever reason, the bike was bought from eBay, the sellers did not seam the bike type!? and did not really seam to have much of a clue regarding it.

Here it the auction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180707227865? ... _500wt_949

The auction states

You are bidding on a

Specialized Fsr mountain bike

It is jumping a couple of gears and the rear wheel is a little buckled.

Disc brakes all round

The rear gear changer has been disconneted but is there to reassemble.

Happy bidding

The "rear gear changer" :roll: :LOL: was still connected, what you can see in the photos is the rear disc+bracket+aftermarket disc adapter cable tied to the seat.

The gears once roughly indexed (its getting stripped anyway so its pointless going for 100%) worked fine.

The brakes are not standard, that much i worked out, what the bike has is Deore XT leavers with Tektro mechanical 160mm discs, the front is bolted to a Rockshox Judy T2 fork, which has both disc, and V brake mounts, i am assuming this is not standard, the rear as you can see via the auction was cable tied up to the seat, upon getting the bike home and having a look over it it apears to be connected to an aftermarket rear disc adapter, which after a little messing about i managed to fit like this.

IMG_20110820_160101.jpg

The rear calliper is only mounted via one bolt as the cables on the bike were not long enough to allow it to fit properly, i simply bolted it on via the top bolt to get it up out of the way so i could go for a quick spin around the car park at home :D the rear brake is another confusing part for me, as all brake inner cables look brand new, clean cut at the end, no fraying, still bright silver.

I have bought some new cable this afternoon so i can have another look tomorrow.

Can anybody ID the brake disc adapter ? is it even fitted properlly ? the way it is on now means the rear wheel is not very "quick" release.....

The rear derailleur is Shimano XT, is this standard?
The front mech is Deore LX

The saddle looks far too new to be standard, although it is quite comfy (Mongoose)

The wheels/hubs/tyres all look cheap, they are branded, but they did not look "posh" i assume they are aftermarket because they have disc fitments.

The cassette is Shimano, although i did not write down the model number

The front crank is what looks to be "RPM" the front rings look poor quality, the bottom bracket seams spot on though. no noise/creaks or freeplay.

Rear shok is a Rockshox model, the spring IIRC has 750 X 1.50 on the coil.

It has some basic Wellgo pedals on it.

The plan was to have the frame powdercoated white, longer front fork and modded rear suspension with some red bits, but i would like to get the basic thing up and running just so i know what i am dealing with, before stripping it down and spunking cash on it.

Cheers.[/quote]

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yes, i typed out the intial post and then it would not let me post links/pictures :(

I had to copy it into notepad, sing a little Freddy Kruger song, and then repost my main post :LOL:

Back