Cleat compatibility

rosstheboss

Retrobike Rider
What works with what?

I've got some 98 Ritchey clipless pedals and was wondering what other pedals the cleats might work with? I'm not too keen on shimano pedals as they don't have any float (or do they?) I've been looking at Time pedals but their cleats look totally different to the Ritchey ones............

Richey should be the same as Shimano. Time are unique and Crank Bros are a slightly different variation on Time. Shimano pedals will have a similar feel to the Richey and similar level of float. Whereas Time and Crank Bros offer more float.

weird .... I answered same question quite recently.

Ritchey cleats are ment to be compatible with Shimano pedals but I found they were very hard to clip in and more importantly hard to clip out. I sold the Shimano pedals.

The new Ritchey cleat is wider than the early one but the early cleat works ok with the later pedlas, albeit there seems to be even more float.

I haven't tried it the other way, not until the cleats on my shoes fail i.e. newer cleats (wider) with older (narrower cleat) pedals.

There is some nice info here
http://www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/pedals.pdf

I think the early Ritchey do not work to well compatibility wise (some talk somewhere on here). My new ones work with Shimano and PowerPlay (and other Wellgo rebadged models or companies they make them for. Of course Wellgo also made none Shimno compatible models)

Back