What forks...

PhilStone

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm looking for a set of longer travel forks to replace my RC39's, ideally a set of RC40/41 as I'm really happy with they way my 39's have performed and I'm a sucker for carbon... :p

However, they are proving hard to find, so... If I must succumb to non-carbon I'm not sure on what is best... My requirements in order of importance are..

1. Adjustable travel (U-Turn, TALAS)
2. Lockout
3. Weight (light)
4. Strength...

I'm not a heavy rider and there isn't anything too crazy here in Jersey so I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of strength to weight..

The main problem I'm finding is 9mm QR - Don't want to change the front wheel so it has to be a 9mm QR..
Budget - as little as poss but ideally no more than £200 (yes second hand..!)

So, can anyone point me to any recommendations or give me good reasons to change any of my criteria?

Thanks all!

I've got travel adjust on my modern bike (Marzocchi All Mountain 1SLs)....the novelty wore off quite quickly!!! I haven't touched the travel adjust thingy in about 2 years!!!

So personally, no, it's pointless!!!

I havent touched mine either! :LOL:

Check out spinner cargo air tx forks if you can find them!

Just got some Revelations, RLT Tis though, and have to say they are by far the best fork I have owned. Was concerned that 150mm might be too much but had the option of spacering them down to 130 or 110 but not going to bother. This is on a bike with 120 at the back though.

Are you sure you don't want to move away from QR wheel/fork interface? Bolt through axles are so much stiffer and track so much better than standard QR system. I moved from a DT Swiss 140mm to a Magura Thor last year and found them a revelation. A great fork, roughly 90-100 grams heavier than the carbon DT/ Pace fork but much stiffer with the axle and double arch brace. Damping is fantastic, adjustable travel from 100-140mm, adjustable platform which can be locked solid and very reliable.
You should be able to find some for your budget but try and go for the 2010 model as they modified the internals and changed the oil to improve the performance in colder (uk summer) weather. I'm surprised that despite great reviews from the mags and users that they haven't caught on.

SJ

Back