rock shox judy hydracoil oil question

THWANG-666

Senior Retro Guru
hi all
i,ve just bought some 98/99 judy xc hydracoils rock shoxs manual states to use extra light oil would that be 5 wt or less.
cheers si

not sre on this but as a rule of thumb (viscocitys can differ between manufacturers)
10wt is heavy
7.5wt is medium
5wt is light

So i would prsume extra light to be lower than 5wt

Manufacturers tend to recommend their own brand oil but it is an expensive way of buying it. I have always gone to motor stores and purchased the correct weight oil from there, it generally comes in much bigger bottles but I have a few forks to service and it makes more sense to me.

hello

I own and still using the XC Judy Rock Shox 100mm (yellow). The last time it went to total over hauled 6 years ago, I use the 10wt of motor shock oil and still provide me well until today. the only difference back then when i use 10wt over the 5wt original is the rebound is slower but can eating the bigger bump smoother.

cheers

I also depends on how heavy you are, stock oil weights are generally not for people who weigh 220lbs like me so I generally swap them out fairly quickly.

cheers chaps what colour was the medium springs i seem to rember they were blue. the set i have has one yellow and one red and are quite hard to compress.
cheers thwang

Red has always been the medium general purpose spring.
Well at least in the one's I know.

Got a picture of your fork so you can pick a year.

Model/year/travel will tell you the springs (if you assume they are the standard ones) as some came with one medium/ one soft

Choose the fork oil to your weight/riding style.

and now have the spring info

'99/'00 Hydrocoil (1999 was the 1st year, 1998 was type III springs and cartridge)

'99
Soft = yellow
medium = red
firm = black

'00
added to the list
Extra soft = silver

Back