Head Doctor / Expansion Plug / Compression Plug / etc

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Have you used any ?

If so which type and was it any good ?

The Toronto cycles version looks good / neat / well made but doesn't have a button to buy it :? :-(

All input appreciated :cool:

Cheers,

WD :D

i use hope doctors now
they take a normal bolt (obviously not with the hope topcaps but it opens your choices)
simple installation with 8mm allen key
i use it now instead of SFN
Can be picked up cheap of here because frankly the hope bolts are a bit naff and snap to easily (just the insert)

Also used an x-lite one which wasnt too bad but was hard to get to 'bite' in to get enough purchase so the hope one wins over that for me

Have used the X-Lite ones and the Hope ones and have to say I prefer the Hope as I have had issues getting the plug bit of the X-Lite ones out. Probably because once you have tightened them enough and they have expanded in the steerer they tend to stick hard after a few months.

BertR00t":2j3rjz7c said:
Have used the X-Lite ones and the Hope ones and have to say I prefer the Hope as I have had issues getting the plug bit of the X-Lite ones out. Probably because once you have tightened them enough and they have expanded in the steerer they tend to stick hard after a few months.

Yeah same problem i had. The x-lite ones just seem a bit more primitive really. They work, just not that well if your changing fork quite often

I don't understand why people have a problem with the bolts breaking (same as Syncros top caps). The thing is to tension the headset - after the stem's steerer clamp is tightened the top cap can be slackened a quarter of a turn.

Anyway, I have a head doctor in the toolbox as I got forks which happened to have a star nut already inside. £5 posted if you want it, less bolt and top cap.

Well i snapped 2 for the first time the other day
but thats because i set the crown race with the topcap (which i would normally do with standard Steel bolt)

hamster":3emo8sqa said:
I don't understand why people have a problem with the bolts breaking (same as Syncros top caps). The thing is to tension the headset - after the stem's steerer clamp is tightened the top cap can be slackened a quarter of a turn.

Anyway, I have a head doctor in the toolbox as I got forks which happened to have a star nut already inside. £5 posted if you want it, less bolt and top cap.

If it's new / as new that sounds great :cool: I already have a nice top cap and bolt :D

Cheers,

Thanks to hamster I now have a nice new head doctor :cool:

It appears to be a perfect fit for late SID's with a ally steerer - will report back once fitted :D

Back