Stripped disc thread on hub - bolt options?

Nick C

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've got a hub on which two of the holes are badly stripped of thread, mainly down to cheap ti bolts I fear (rather than over tightening).

Has anybody run an M5 bolt through their rotor/hub with a nut on the inside of the hub?

yeah as above (although maybe the rotor could warp?)
shouldnt be a problem
or just get the helicoil kit for it
provided you dont have tabs that arent too small

My rear hub has 3 stripped threads. I still use 6 bolts, just with a lot of thread lock. When it dries the threaded bolt holes do seem to tighten up a fraction when the bolt is turned.
I was going to try a larger bolt but wasn't sure if the holes in the disc were big enough.
My disc hasn't warped either.

I'd rather leave the bolt out than have one come loose and jam the wheel. On my bike at least they pass within mm of the fork legs, if one came loose at the very least it would take a chunk out of the fork.

I think you'll be ok with 5 :D

Nick C":19nno7kn said:
I've got a hub on which two of the holes are badly stripped of thread, mainly down to cheap ti bolts I fear (rather than over tightening).

Which Ti bolts were these? Was the thread malformed to cause this problem?

I'm curious as I'm using cheap Ti blts off ebay - threads are cut - not rolled - and had no prblems to date;

apparently JB weld - two part epoxy filler - is as strong as metal - so the manufctuere's claim -so you owuld be able to retap the thread.

most of the bolt on hubs have small individual tabs for the rotor bolts - do not be tempoeted to fit larger bolt M6 as this may weaken the tab (mavic corssmax are know to split at that point) ; for same reason a helicoil is not a good idea. (if you hub is different to what I describe then ignore me).

Back