Is it 'socially' acceptable...

All disc, all rim, or a mixture of brakes?

• all the same, its better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a mixture is fine, stop being a posey wally

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
...to run a front disc with a rear v or similar rim based brake? Will other cyclists mock me like an uneducated reprobate??

I ask more on a level of vanity than anything else. I have recently acquired a 97 Kili Comp (19") which required a mahoosive steerer owing to the starting point of a 155mm headtube. Eventually, I plumped for the highly recommended Reba RL fork, which is disc only. Now, the frame isnt disc ready and, quite frankly, I am not wanting to faff about adding disc adaptors or having anything welded on.

So, what do you think? Will I forever regret the decision to run a mixture of brakes?

Dan ;)

FluffyChicken":3co4nh3p said:
Keep the levers the same and you'll be half let off for even thinking of running a disc brake.

I will do my best! Although I will be likely running a hydraulic disc, so matching levers might be tricky...

i personally don't like mixing brake types, but if you are going to do it i agree with having matching brake levers which means cable disc brake.

an Avid set up i think would be best.

my 2p

:)

what are the cable discs like these days? I used to have a Hope M4 and a mini on the rear when I had a Kona Stinky, the stopping power was immense. I am not convinced by cable discs, but will happily be proved wrong :cool:

Whatleymeister":21xgcca7 said:
what are the cable discs like these days? I used to have a Hope M4 and a mini on the rear when I had a Kona Stinky, the stopping power was immense. I am not convinced by cable discs, but will happily be proved wrong :cool:

Are cable disc any worse than say the set of V's you would be using ?

FluffyChicken":3upk6nq5 said:
Are cable disc any worse than say the set of V's you would be using ?

hmm, I never thought of it like that. I have just been looking at the Avid BB7's on the web (this is how i burn time in the office ;)) and in all fairness, and having read some of the reviews, they seem pretty impressive. I may abuse Evans' try before you buy scheme and see if they have cable discs fitted to any of their bikes.

I know they probably will be fine, but I am a firm believer in having first hand experience of a product before buying. :roll:

I was just going to say that the BB7's seem to get good reviews and are lighter than your average hydraulic brakes too. As to the question of 'style', I'd say you're already worried about what people think, so it doesn't matter what we say. For the record though, I voted for you to stop being a wally. ;)

Nick C":1h9nwbd0 said:
I was just going to say that the BB7's seem to get good reviews and are lighter than your average hydraulic brakes too. As to the question of 'style', I'd say you're already worried about what people think, so it doesn't matter what we say. For the record though, I voted for you to stop being a wally. ;)

Well, its all about looking good on the trails you know!
The BB7 does look good, but I can't decide whether to keep levers the same our go with function over form, but for the money the Avid offering is quite impressive.

But, all that said, I an a sucker for a Hope :cool:

I certainly wasn't judging you, I think almost all on this website suffer from 'trail aesthetics syndrome', myself included. ;)

I'm also a new Hope convert and fan. :cool:

Latest posts

Back