1998 Orange Clockwork - strange forks....

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I was essentially bored senseless last weekend and went through the local ads and brought a very quirky 1998 Orange Clockwork just to have a project and get oily.

Anyhow, the frame's got some interesting features:
- Crud catcher bosses
- No rear chainstay bridge
- FD E-type plate boss
- Two bolts on the BB shell for an "anti-chain suck" thingy...
- The canti-studs on the forks are backwards! The V-brake is facing the down-tube if you know what I mean...

It's cleaned up OK and now built up as a SS commuter / urban hack; rather nice ride and a good fit for me.

Are these features actually any good in mud or is all this stuff a gimmick? It all seems a bit OTT. Any experiences from other Orange Clockwork riders? Are they any good? Can't seem to see anything similar when surfing. Can post a few pics if it helps.

W.

Hi Woz. Sounds like a 1998/99 to me. Crud bosses are good if you use one (many did back then) and the reverse mounts are meant to be good for brake forces etc. Check out early Pace forks ;)

brocklanders023":1ccyi35y said:
Hi Woz. Sounds like a 1998/99 to me. Crud bosses are good if you use one (many did back then) and the reverse mounts are meant to be good for brake forces etc. Check out early Pace forks ;)

sounds like it to me too :? Of course we'll need to see pics :D

Woz":1gjo4kw5 said:
- The canti-studs on the forks are backwards! The V-brake is facing the down-tube if you know what I mean...

Like this:

p4pb6056072.jpg

There's a few more pics here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... d55c61a984

They did 2 forks with rear facing pivots.the fork shown[steel] and an alloy curved[was it curved :?]

I seem to remember the reason for it being that the pads are pulled onto the rim increasing performance :? I think

dyna-ti":1bwlttmf said:
They did 2 forks with rear facing pivots.the fork shown[steel] and an alloy curved[was it curved :?]

I seem to remember the reason for it being that the pads are pulled onto the rim increasing performance :? I think

Yep, à la Pace. It also looks a bit different on the shop floor or catalogue.

Some pics of the original advert. Title of the advert was "Broken MB"....

Attachments

• 5737075487.jpg
    5737075487.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,376
  • 5794458892.jpg
    5794458892.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,377
Back