Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:51 pm 
Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty

Just to let you know......shimano cleats DONT work with eggbeaters :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:05 pm 
Section Moderator & South West AEC

i originally used spd's, when egg beaters came out i got some, liked them, got some more for the other bikes then i started having a knee issue, after a while i realised that my right foot was tipping to the side when i pushed down which was causing my knee to be at an angle. the reason for this was that their is not enough support under the shoe on eggbeaters, i switched back to spd's and the pain went away.

if you're gonna use egg beater pedals i would suggest using the ones with some support, the candy's and mallets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:07 pm 

jonnyboy666 wrote:
i originally used spd's, when egg beaters came out i got some, liked them, got some more for the other bikes then i started having a knee issue, after a while i realised that my right foot was tipping to the side when i pushed down which was causing my knee to be at an angle. the reason for this was that their is not enough support under the shoe on eggbeaters, i switched back to spd's and the pain went away.

if you're gonna use egg beater pedals i would suggest using the ones with some support, the candy's and mallets.

Good advice, even though I havent had a problem, Jonnyboy did you adjust the cleats at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:17 pm 

i am ex bike trade :wink: 12 years punishment

i still use the quattro versions on my road bike with no issues but i find as soon as i use standard egg beaters (i still have one pair that occasionally get put on a bike when i have no other option) i get an ache in my knee. having said that because i am aware of what they do to me i tend to notice when my foot is leaning over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:25 pm 

jonnyboy666 wrote:
i am ex bike trade :wink: 12 years punishment

i still use the quattro versions on my road bike with no issues but i find as soon as i use standard egg beaters (i still have one pair that occasionally get put on a bike when i have no other option) i get an ache in my knee. having said that because i am aware of what they do to me i tend to notice when my foot is leaning over.

Ahh so you did adjust them properly then..... :D
I noticed when I started using them they were a little loose so got rid of the shims and that tightened them to how I used to have the SPDs and now I wont use any other pedal, but thats just me, they wont work for everyone as we are all different shapes and sizes.
I get on with both spuds and eggbeaters, so chose the eggies as they are twice as light and fit me well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:50 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

I was thinking of finally making the switch, I'm still on traps and cages, which I like but I don't keep them tight enough to generate much lift on the up stroke.

I have been looking at SPDs and Speedplay frogs, might biggest "fear" is releasing as I have dodgy knees, seen many a mate suffer from this with spuds.

Any recommendations for the speedplay? I like the fact that some spuds come with a flat pedal so you can use them with shoes occasionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:55 pm 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC

you could try the multi release cleats from shimano instead of single release.

For the same reason (and also that i was sh!t scared of face planting the first few times) i went for the multis.

I've had no issues with sore knees from releasing (or facial foliage, other than a dodgy goatee) and my knees are pretty foobar'd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

i had eggbeaters and couldnt get on with them at all
ive gone back to flats,gives me more manouverability
and easier to bail out if i get it wrong :oops: