WALL MOUNT MTB STORAGE/HANGER/CARRIER/BRACKET (Nice One!)

srands

Retro Guru
Here is a dilemma for the masses: Where to put your MTB(s) at home?
At home I don't have a garage, so the question is, where to mount my great steed (That's a reference to my MTB, just between me & you though).

Well after looking at lots & lots, after initial reservation about it looking so small and insignificant in naff packaging I bought FOLDING BIKE STORAGE WALL BRACKET (Sounds rubbish doesn't it). Even if in its packaging it does resemble one of ET’s dead severed pubescent arms.

Halfords Bike Hanger £15! Their biggest bargain, ever....
261434_229043287119061_100000401736733_742390_6932183_n.jpg

Halfords describe it as their Folding Bike Storage Wall Bracket

However it's great and far less cumbersome then all of the other alternatives that I looked at. I mount my bike on it in either or two ways:

~ HANG from FORKS
9617_100714623285262_100000401736733_16271_7528413_n.jpg

~ HANG from FRONT WHEEL
268319_229044497118940_100000401736733_742392_2541805_n.jpg
OR

~ HANG from FRONT WHEEL (CLOSE UP)
269169_229044523785604_100000401736733_742393_7715265_n.jpg

NOTE:
You could make a mess by drilling holes, then realising you don't want the bracket there after all (It's not like you can rubber out the holes you don't want afterwards! Well you could put some stickers, or filler (Coloured filler like pollyfilla or woodfiller), or a poster, or a painting over them!). Think about where you really want the bracket, move it around and pretend/imagine where the MTB will be and how it will look, then measure the distances, make sure it will fit, decide, then fit, see below.

FITTING/TOOLS:
It screws to the wall yes, so you'll need a:
~ Drill: You need a normal drill (240v). SDS would be overkill, but OK. 12v+ cordless wouldn't have enough power (Most of them anyway)
~ Drill bits: Masonry drill bits (Commonly 5mm, 6mm, but I would a minimum size of 7mm, but since the bracket will suspend a bike off it, perhaps 8mm or even 10mm
~ Wall plugs, same MM (Millimetre) as drill bit size used: 7mm~Brown, 8mm~Grey or 10mm~Blue recommended, and only 2 wall plugs are needed for this bracket.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The wall plugs supplied with the WALL MOUNT MTB STORAGE/HANGER/CARRIER/BRACKET, maybe too small (7mm=Brown & below), especially to sufficiently hold the weight of some of the heavier bikes with accessories, so fit 7mm+ wall plugs, or larger.
~ Tape measure (To measure there is adequate space from not obstructing floor/furniture to mount bracket, so that MTB fits either from FORK or FRONT WHEEL OK)
~ Level & pen/pencil, to mark where to drill making sure drill holes, are level so that bracket when fitted in an even/level fit.
~ Large diameter wall plugs (I would use 8mm=Grey or 10mm=Blue)
~ Hammer to knock the wall plugs in
~ SCREWS of adequate length/diameter (Posi type screws instead of flat head screws, these round off less easily, then even if you did slip & round off screw, then slacken/fasten with flat blade screwdriver, but if you're using long/thicker diameter screws it may be too hard to get sufficient torque with a screwdriver, hence screwdriver bit in 240v drill or preferably use coachscrews instead.)
OR
~ COACH SCREWS (Screwfix direct) of adequate length/diameter (Coach screws with hex heads are better then screws, because with a ratchet or spanner you have far more leverage/torque to fasten or slacken the coach screw: Hence NOT a bolt, as thread is self tapping style)
~ Screwdrivers (Posi better with posi screws!) to tighten/slacken screws OR Socket set hexagon 10mm to 12mm (Depends on coach screws used) to tighen/slacken coach screw bolts (Ratchet and socket, or spanner or spanner ratchet!)
~ VAC, to clean away the dust debris
OPTIONAL USEFUL DEVICE:
~ METAL/VOLTAGE DETECTOR (Maplin £10) use before drilling to establish no electrical wires or copper water or gas pipes immeadiately behind wall were you are going to drill pilot holes for the wall plugs. But obviously it can't detect PLASTIC PIPES, nor can it detect the WATER within anything other then METALLIC PIPES!

WALL PLUG to SCREW size matrix guide:
~ 5MM YELLOW WALL PLUG: (Average Length 2.5cm) = SCREW DIAMETER (3.5mm to 4mm) SIZE 4-8
~ 6MM RED WALL PLUG: (Average Length 3.4cm) = SCREW DIAMETER (3.5mm to 4.5mm) SIZE 6-10
~ 7MM BROWN WALL PLUG: (Average Length 4.0cm) = SCREW DIAMETER (3.5mm to 5.5mm) SIZE 10-14
~ 8MM GREY WALL PLUG: (Average Length 4.0cm) = SCREW DIAMETER (5mm to 6.5mm) SCREW SIZE 12-16
~ 10MM BLUE WALL PLUG: (Average Length 4.5cm) = SCREW DIAMETER (5mm to 7mm) SCREW SIZE 14-18

264187_232664773423579_100000401736733_753506_2544361_n.jpg

STEP BY STEP HOW TO FIT into BRICK WALL:
1. Hold the bracket were you want to fit it, with a pencil, mark the 2 areas were you need to drill the 2 adequately (Eg: 7mm, 8mm or 10mm) sized pilot holes.
2. Before drilling, test those areas with a metal/voltage detector to check for electrical wires/metal pipes behind the walls, if BLEEPS, find alternative location were no BLEEPS occur!
3. With an appropriate sized masonery drill bit (7mm, 8mm or 10mm) in the 240v drill, drill were marked, two adequate length pilot holes (If drill has guide, use drill guide, adjust/set to slightly greater then length of wall plug).
NOTE: If the drill does NOT have a drill guide or you don't use the drill guide, if you are using LONG drill bits, take care NOT to drill all the way through the wall and have a hole in the other side of the wall!
4. Then push the wall plugs, (Same size wall plugs as hole diameter drilled: Eg: 7mm~Brown, 8mm~Grey or 10mm~Blue. Push the wall plug round end first, with flat end pointing outwards) into the pilot holes, then hammer the wall plugs most of the way into the pilot hole (If the pilot hole isn’t deep enough, pull out the wall plug by screwing a screw into it, then with the back of a hammer split, pull the wall plug out, then drill the pilot hole deeper).

MASSIVE TIP for fitting the wall plug, once pilot hole drilled:
271123_230400463650010_100000401736733_746267_506790_n.jpg

To push the wall plugs all the way in (Without leaving hammer marks all over the surrounding wall/paintwork/vinyl!), in one hand get a screw (The screw head should be marginally larger or same size of the wall plug, hence a coachscrew head would be too big for this easy task), put the head of the screw directly in front of the wall plug, then with your other spare hand with a hammer slowly tap the screw pointed end (Turned around, back to front, so to speak) so that the wall plug sits snugly (Just past the wall surface, 1mm to 2mm) into the wall face.
5. Then once both (Or more if poss) WALL PLUGS are fitted, get your 2 (etc) SCREWS/COACHSCREWS, then place your WALL BRACKET over the position it is to be fitted, then place a screw or coachscrew through the wall bracket metal plate into the visible wall plug, then tighten with tool (Screwdriver, Rachet&Socket or spanner), AND the same again with the second screw/coach screw (And all following screws/coach screws). Check from a distance the MTB bracket is level/even, then finally tighten up the two (etc) screws/coach screws. Then before mounting MTB, lightly tug at bracket to ensure it is a tight fit, if not tighten, if will not tighten, use larger screws, or fit larger wall plugs & screws, or if wall brickwork is in poor condition (Not obvious before fitting) then fit MTB bracket elsewhere, see STEP 1.

NOTE: If the surface you are fitting the bracket to is NOT a brick wall, then you would have to use DIFFERENT DRILL BITS:

WOOD surface:
~ Wood drill bit (Pointed end)
~ Drill bit size, must be 1mm diameter SMALLER (EG: Pilot Hole Diameter = 6mm, Screw Diameter = 7mm) then the SCREW/COACH SCREWS you are going to fit so that the self tapping screw/coach screw can make in it's own thread in the ready made pilot hole. To measure the size of the SCREW to determine the next size down (SMALLER) drill bit you need, USE A DRILL BIT SIZE GUIDE:
270736_233083830048340_100000401736733_754516_192834_n.jpg

METAL surface: Use Bolts&Nuts instead of screws/coachscrews, the metal surface you need to get behind (If can not get behind the surface, then thin metal may not be sufficient thickness to hold weight of MTB, and too thick may prove too difficult to tap a thread into), such as a iron girder, then tighen a NUT onto the BOLT threads:
~ Metal drill bit (Twisted)
~ Drill bit size, must be 1mm diameter BIGGER (Eg: Pilot hole Diameter = 7mm, Bolt Size Diameter = 6mm) then the BOLT you are going to fit, so that the bigger pilot hole you can pass the BOLT the larger diameter pilot hole. To measure the size of the BOLT to determine the next size up (BIGGER) drill bit you need, USE A DRILL BIT SIZE GUIDE.

That's how to do it, don't tell anybody I told how good it is, or how to fit it or anything.

My experience (the hard way :oops: ) is that it's best to hang from the rear wheel. That way the oil in the fork doesn't pool around the seals and leak.

OK...........

Well, this MTB WALL MOUNT CARRIER/BRACKET, is a great small (inconspicuous) inexpensive product, even though in it's packaging it does resemble ET's severed decomposing arm.

And as for you drowning in your own oil, yes well how unfortunate, for you. Maybe also a warning to all persons, who have water bottles mounted in precarious positions, also!

SIMPLE THINGS & NOT SIMPLE THINGS!

Yer that VELO WALL RACK looks nice, $ to £ is an currency exchange of about £21 + VAT + DELI (If they deliver to UK?)

I like the Halfords BIKE HANGER (£15), it is simple and works, and out of the packaging it looks pro-fessional and it has stood the test of time (That is, it hasn't fallen off, or levered itself off my wall, obviously I wouldn't go swinging off it, or rock climbing!) which is something that can not be said for a great many things!

Yes I'm really sure there are many many others, but read the following note:

When buying/fitting/using something new I'm often greeted by an unwelcome PARADOX, to getting something better.
To put this in other words, you may be worse off then before you bought a certain product/service, and wishing you never bothered in the first place, wondering how such good intention led to such disastrous end results! Or at the very least you won't have enough time to get whatever it is to work or fitted, or it will make you late for something else, or it will take you alot longer then anticipated, that is an incredible long time! Obviously new products in most instances, well apart from cars & houses, this is obviously not comical to have a tirade of purchases that don't meet realistic expectations, from an almost phantomous number of manufacturers to mention.

These days, to an almost unprecedented level, our choices are unsimplified to such an unbelievable extent that your every thought is met by never ending onerousity, and any feasible sensible questions we have is followed by mouth frothing substantial sarcasm, and a continuous spiral of irritating non progress (A feeling of not getting near to accomplish, what we want), hence we consider have we made the right purchase choice, or that we are somehow daft or not seeing the obvious right way "to do it", or we may consider return/exchange/not use/limited use/break it/throw away, or other purchases, but this is not an ironism (An annoying contradiction) in the apparent manufacturing evolution, but a deliberate manipulated exertion for us as consumers to spend more money! But of course alternatively question why irritate 'A' person?

That is: How do I do what I want to do? What does this do? What is it that I wanted to do in the first place? Well it's not self explanatory, suddenly look for the instructions, they are obviously either none, or once you get your hands on some instructions (Not the exact one you are looking for obviously, but one of thousands you could find) they are vastly over complicated, or of little use (Several different foreign languages), and almost out exacerbation to state to yourself "Now all I have to do".

That is, does this do what I want, I thought it would be, but apparently NOT? Or it partly does what I want, but not everything that I wanted it to, etc. SOUND FAMILIAR?

What's my point? Buy the Halfords one, it's simple, cheap and doesn't fall apart. But you could make a mess of fitting it, if you're NOT a good DIYER, or have a decent 240v drill, or tools, etc.

Re: SIMPLE THINGS & NOT SIMPLE THINGS!

srands":2n6ubo19 said:
Yer that VELO WALL RACK looks nice, $ to £ is an currency exchange of about £21 + VAT + DELI (If they deliver to UK?)

I like the Halfords BIKE HANGER (£15), it is simple and works, which is something that can not be said for a great many things!

NOTE:
These days, to an almost unprecedented level, our choices are unsimplified to such an unbelievable extent that your every thought is met by never ending onerousity, and any feasible sensible questions we have is followed by mouth frothing substantial sarcasm, and a continuous spiral of irritating non progress (A feeling of not getting near to accomplish, what we want), hence we consider have we made the right purchase choice, or that we are somehow daft or not seeing the obvious right way "to do it", or we may consider return/exchange/not use/limited use/break it/throw away, or other purchases, but this is not an ironism (An annoying contradiction) in the apparent manufacturing evolution, but a deliberate manipulated exertion for us as consumers to spend more money! But of course alternatively question why irritate 'A' person?

That is: How do I do what I want to do? What does this do? What is it that I wanted to do in the first place? Well it's not self explanatory, suddenly look for the instructions, they are obviously either none, or once you get your hands on some instructions (Not the exact one you are looking for obviously, but one of thousands you could find) they are vastly over complicated, or of little use (Several different foreign languages), and almost out exacerbation to state to yourself "Now all I have to do".

That is, does this do what I want, I thought it would be, but apparently NOT? Or it partly does what I want, but not everything that I wanted it to, etc. SOUND FAMILIAR?

couldn't have said it better myself ;)

REDUCED RRP Halfords MTB hanging bracket now only £11!

Much to my surprise the Halfords MTB hanging bracket, has had it's RRP price REDUCED to only £11. So I bought another 1!

On another more jovial matter, I said to my G/F that I've been doing something on a side, but I wanted to try it in a number of different positions, I said to her it was alot harder then I thought it was going be, obviously I knew it was going to be a right slag.

My g/f took this a bit personally, thinking my joking was a serious story, so she left me. Oops maybe if she'd realised I was talking about hanging my bike up by it's top tube instead of it's wheels, perhaps she would have reacted differently, as IT IS ONLY A BIKE!

HANGING FROM TOP TUBE
DSC00215.JPG

DSC00217.JPG

DSC00218.JPG

INSTEAD OF HANGING FROM FRONT WHEEL:
268319_229044497118940_100000401736733_742392_2541805_n.jpg

Not at the moment

No, not at the moment.

However "IF" my bike had triple clamps or 14cm travel forks, then surely the front wheel would be touching the suite, OR if a much larger frame size with 29" was mounted on the same hanger then surely the front wheel would be resting on the suite.

But since I'm so short:
~ Frames bigger then 16",
~ Front suspension fork suspension travel greater then 12cm, and
~ Wheels biggers then 26"

Are all a big no no for me, so If and when I'd buy a different MTB, it would be a very similar size to my current MTB.

Back