Several custom speed gears? instead of SS, 3,4,5sp 4x style

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone done this? It was meant to be all the rage this/last year, custom gears, cassettes made up of favourate cogs? and maybe even less cogs to keep weight down and chainline straight... ?

As part of my ongoing experiments I'm getting a DMR Trailstar2 for urban messing and odd commuting, and playing in the local woods etc, its a vertical drop out model so, SS is possible with tensioner or 4 or 5 gears to keep chainline straight and chain short. Thinking like either side of me SS 36-16 scenario. 20t, 18t, 16t, 14t or something.

Any thoughts or experience putting this together?

Cheers

I am running 1 * 9 on my Intense with a 34 at the front and a modified front mech as a guide .

i did think about building a 3 or 4 speed , but by the time i stick a derallier and shifter on it sort of defeats the porpose of loosing all that tat to start with

I think thats what I wondered Mikee, but I've done SS, and since the frame isn't SS specific I'll take the Make-do SS fine tuning personal gear research and take it a step further, plus the chain should stay put more often. ideas really no risk if its not gonna get me lost in the middle of nowhere. :D

And Chris, I'm dead set on 1x9 on my all mountain Cotic seems like a winner though its got a 38ring. I think that's why I'm faffing with all the old bits. :D :cool:

Both my partners and friends on road mtb's run 1x4.
Better then SS as you can get going from a stand still, ride into a head wind and ride with a tail wind.

so whats the prefered 3/4 speed set up guys
what you running ratio wise and mech/shifter combo ?

Good question. I have an idea what gearing I'll use based on what gets me up local hills on the commute bike (42-17), as i have a 36 ready to use, 16t rear should make a decent middle/perfect chainline gear...

What gets me then though is it best to get good shifts and break up a cassette for the gears or go separate for surefooted teeth? already got full-toothed SS 18's and 16's so maybe shifting would be a pig with these... :) probs.

i know a chap who runs 1x6 on his dh bike
has done for years
cogs are his favourite ratios (couldnt tell you what they are, but could ask him)

On my partners bike she is running a 32t front and on the rear running 11, 12, 13, 14t...
Using a short cage roadbike rear de and made the chain as short as possible.

i run a 34/18 at the moment
so might add a 16 and 15 or so dependant on what i have
been thinking about mechs for this and wonder if the travel screws need
to be longer ,and if i can get away with just the one pulley and thus
shorter cage to keep the weenie theme
maybe even one of those slidey tensioners that i've seen somwhare
before

hmmmmm...

Latest posts

Back