camelbak

matthew71

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
am after a camelbak hydration type back pack ,it needs to carry a spare folding tyre,waterproof ,a few bits and bobs.and must be able to carry a fair amount of liquid
any suggestions? horror stories, or things to avoid

Depends on how much you want to carry & how much fluid you will need.

Popular models are (for more storage & lots of fluid) the Camelbak M.U.L.E & I use the Blowfish, it's not as compartmentalised as a M.U.L.E but dies the same job both have a 3 litre reservoir, good for all day epic rides

I also had a Camelbak Rouge which has less storage and a smaller reservoir, ideal for an hour or two on the bike.

Both are great bits of kit.

Pro tip: once you've finished your ride, rinse the bladder out and pop it in the freezer until your next ride, it stops it going mouldy ;)

Other brands to check out are Deuter & Source Hydration

A lot of the cheaper ones (supermarket type/camping store own branded) will end up with leaky valves & fabric that tears easily which is not good. You do tend to get what you pay for with most of them.

Hi Matt, I use a blowfish which covers all bases, but it can seem a bit of an overkill on shorter rides.......I guess I'd rather have too much than too little.....I also keep the option of a bottle for shorter rides in a good old regular cage on the bike.......you can see on Sunday!....

Use a M.U.L.E. and liking it :D
Also bought a HydraPack blatter in the States that works fine too and is way easier to clean (you can fold it inside out :D )

I had a HyraPack which was good.... Until it split.

Now have a Camelback H.A.W.G. It's been faultless and comes highly recommended.

camelback mule here
could do with another ltr of water capacity but a nicely made bit of kit
nothings gone wrong in the 9/10 years iv'e had it
still have a first gen camelback up the loft and that was faultless

Own a Rogue for about 8 years now and am fully satisfied about the product and its use. Holds more water than a set of bottles and has some small compartments for carkeys, change, allenkeys, etc...
Removed both bottle cages (always bending...) from my bike!

I also use the bladder and valve in my backpack of 65 liter during hiking!

I got a small red hydration pack from Tesco 3 years ago, and its still going strong. holds 1.5l of water,with room for tube, multitool,pump,phone wallet etc.

They have them again for 8 quid in my local Tesco. no rips or tears after landing on it numerous times, and drowning it in a stream, and the bladder hasn't leaked once.

Back