Tube-less rims/tires...whats the deal??

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I picked up some nice Crossmax wheels for my Rock Lobster this week, complete with tubeless tires, and took them for their first outing today.
Halfway home I notice that the rear tire is going down. I could see a small cut in the tire, and some of the 'self sealing' compound was oozing out.
The cut kind of repaired, but only up to about half inflated, then it opened up again.
Do I need to add more of the sealing compound, or is the tire now shot? Its only a tiny cut, so I'll be pissed if thats the case!
Also, can I do away with the whole tire/compound mix and fit some proper tires with tubes, that can be easily replaced and not result in me being almost 2 hours late home? :roll:

You can get tubeless tyre repair kits

Whereabouts is the cut? Sidewall or tread area

How much tubeless gunk did you put in the tyre?

What brand, or homemade?

You can run regular tyres and tubes on a tubeless rims with no problems

i got a large cut in one of my ghetto tubeless tyres. I cleaned around the area and stuck one of those sticky puncture patches on the inside of the tyre and reinflated, all sorted. This wasn't out on the trail, but once i was back home.

Cheers chaps :D
I've not used such new-fangled things before, and I'll admit that I was cursing my trust in 'modern' technology when I was stopping every mile to re-inflate the tire :LOL:

The cut is in the tread area. I inflated it again last night and it seems to have held. I didn't add any more gunk (as I dont have any yet :oops: ) and only a few ml's came out.

Is it very messy when you take these tires off?

andrewl":bz63j3qx said:
makster":bz63j3qx said:
Is it very messy when you take these tires off?

It can be. Best to do it outside as the latex sealant doesn't come out of carpet easily...

All sounding like a massive pain in the arse to be honest!! Will add some more gunk and see how it goes. If not, I'll be switching back to what I know

makster":11euerl5 said:
All sounding like a massive pain in the arse to be honest!!

that is my conclusion, and why I've not taken the plunge.

I have tubeless rim fitted with tubless tyre but run them with inner tubes. the rear tyre has a tiny cut - I tred fixing it (bought the kit with the superglue) but it opens up after a a few miles; also tried patching fro mthe inside but that did not work - my theory is that that air is getting out through the holes via the fibres so no amount of patcing will fix it.

I've not run them with sealant tough.

when you first inflate a tyre by the ghetto tubeless method you'd be amazed how many holes there are in the sidewalls :shock: The tyre will go down overnight to about half pressure with the leaks, and there'll be loads of white dots all over the sidewalls where sealant has come through. However, pump it up again and it'll stay up.

orange71":3o0e1907 said:
when you first inflate a tyre by the ghetto tubeless method you'd be amazed how many holes there are in the sidewalls :shock: The tyre will go down overnight to about half pressure with the leaks, and there'll be loads of white dots all over the sidewalls where sealant has come through. However, pump it up again and it'll stay up.

+1 to this on both ghetto and proper tubeless.
i have a set of both ;)

Back