External BB question

FSR-Si

Senior Retro Guru
I think the BB on my boardman is on its way out. when i hold the crank vertically the arms will move back and forth about 1-2mm is this normal or is it worn?

Bike is 11 months old and done 1800 miles.

Thanks Simon

how do you mean?
Thats how it came from the factory and the play has only appeared over the last couple of rides.

That's how mine wears when the bearings have too much side load, it has gone early but not by much.

External BB's don't seem to be as durable as older styles - you can just replace the bearings if it is a nice one, but if it is a cheapy replace the lot.

Hope ones last longer in than shimano in my experience.

Superstars now do one with angular bearings to reduce the side load issues.

I agree about EBBs, 'they' haven't quite cracked durability yet. The top end ones such as Hope etc, are all great in a very sexy / light / colourful way, but the sealed s/taper BB is such a classic in terms of fit & forget and was such a progression from cotterless then cup & cone. I'll be quiet now :roll:

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the late comeback, The type i'm not to sure of but its attached to a set of Truvativ stylo cranks if thats any help?

its a truvative exo bb and they are pants. halfords will probably replace it under warranty, but only with the same again. i would upgrade to a hope or ask if you can pay the difference to up grade at halfords.

Halfords wont touch it, they say its not covered under warranty because its down to wear and tear :cry:

how old is the bike? if less than a year, phone their customer services and bitch and moan. new bb within a week.

Back