Should I have just bought a bike?

JimNicho

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Took the newly built bike out for it's 2nd ride tonight, and I now have a snapped mech hanger, several bent spokes, and no idea what caused it.

I was pedalling away, not going mad, on the big ring in about 5th / 6th at the back.

I don't know if the chain jumped off, dragged the mech into the rear wheel and snapped the hanger or what, but I'm thinking it couldn't because even if it lost tension, it would surely move away.

Anyway, I now need to get the wheel into LBS and hope it's repairable, buy a new mech hanger and possibly a replacement rear mech, as it's twisted.

On spinning the chainset, the big ring does look slightly bent, and it was the first time I'd used the big ring since building it.

I feel the need to hit something with a hammer now!!!

;)

I'm not sure tbh... the rear mech has pretty big jockey wheels... I'll count the links at some point.

I'm kinda new to the whole build process, but I figured I could do it.

Any advice gratefully received.

I need to find a decent LBS to (hopefully sort the wheel out) The rim is a good way out of true, but then I reckon bent spokes is probably a good sign that it's not a disaster.

to measure correct chain lengh , put chain around big ring and biggest sprocket at the back without going through the rear mech and add one full link ( 1 inch ) .

could be a badly set up rear mech , you changed gear , went to the biggest sprocket and with stop on rearmech not set up , it went into the spokes .

Thanks for all the words of advice guys :)

I've now got the wheel straightened, and a new rear mech.

I think the issue lies with the front set-up, and that the chain jumped off at the front and whipped round. I was in a fairly high gear at the back, and the stops were definitely right there.

I will definitely look for some guides online to make sure that the chain length is right though.

Back