Brake cable length question

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My new bike will have a continuous run for the rear brake from lever to caliper (I'm using Avid BB7 mechanical disks). The frame is a large 29er - how long an outer would you estimate I'll need? The average brake pack (for F & R) seems only to come with 170cm which I don't think will be enough for front and rear continuous runs.

Thoughts?

orange71":1wlafv9a said:
should have said - looking for reasonably high end cable - ideally sealed etc.

The end caps do the sealing, Given it's full length it's then sealed all the way anyway to the end caps ;) Get some of the long tube ended caps and string some thin plastic outer between that the caliper to add a bit of extra protection if you need it.

sounds like a plan - do you mean these?

2d0exsi.jpg

orange71":3itgj5va said:
sounds like a plan - do you mean these?

2d0exsi.jpg
I do mean those.
I will say I have no experience of full length cables. Just get something nice and smooth inside. I've been quite impressed with the recent new Clark's 'Pre-lube' and if you get the dirt shield you get those ends, especially for the price.
Though the braiding on the braided look is just there for style and some flimsy material. It's not structural and makes cutting a bit harder (but I don't know what other companies braided is like)

I think you get a 2.5m outer, and 2 x ~2.3m inners, and the end's etc. Check on their site.

I think the braiding on some cables (goodridge / jagwire) is to hold the main strands in place as they run length ways like a gear cable - the braiding stops them opening up on bends and letting the inner cable pull through.

I think ... :D

WD :D

Back