Internal geared hub on modern full suss?

FST4RD

Senior Retro Guru
I have a Merida trail bike (140mm front and rear travel) and looking at upgrading the wheelset.
On thing that I was thinking, if possible, is looking at an internal geared rear hub (Alfine, Rohloff).
I seen a proflex on this site that was SS and the owner said it worked fine. Although Just wondering about the useage of a internal geared hub with a single ring on the front?
Has anyone done this?

You would still need some kind of chain tensioner like this:-

single_speed_tensioner_black.jpg

as the suspension system has chain growth in it's movement.

Get a Rohloff tensioner. They are head and shoulders above the rest. A simple sprung lever is fine for taking up a couple of mm of slack on a hardtail, but on a susser you need something more.

I just want to run through all issues before even looking at spending that much money on 1 hub :eek:

Is it a good idea? :LOL:
or should i just stick with all the moving parts/gears and go for a standard wheelset?
What are peoples thoughts?

FST4RD":jsjgu5ut said:
or should i just stick with all the moving parts/gears and go for a standard wheelset?

I think it depends on the frame.

A 3'' - 4'' travel frame it should be fine.

A 9'' travel bike not so.

From a chain growth perspective

letmetalktomark":11xa7twe said:
FST4RD":11xa7twe said:

I think it depends on the frame.

A 3'' - 4'' travel frame it should be fine.

A 9'' travel bike not so.

From a chain growth perspective

I was thinking of building an 8" downhill rig as a SS. Mainly as I don't want to buy another shifter or rear mech!! It should be OK as it's not 9" ;) :LOL:

lol

Mines 140mm rear travel (5 and a bit inches?).
Was looking at the Alfine since they are so much cheaper then the Rohloff. Is it worth spending all that extra to get the Rohloff?

Latest posts

Back