Singlespeed Epiphany

suburbanreuben

Old School Grand Master
Anyone here ditched gears altogether? I just cant be bothered with them anymore - all those messy cables and stuff...

Love the singlespeed way, got four of them for various pursuits (700c commuter, offroad mtb, polo mtb and one retro one)

I mean TOTALLY!
I'm down to one bike with gears, which hardly ever gets ridden. I usually grab one of the singles. I don't get time for long rides- anuthing more than a couple of hours-and this is Surrey, so no mountains to climb, just a couple of biggish hills.
It seems to me I only keep a bike with gears "just in case"...

My next SS I'm going to be running a coaster brake on the back and a drum brake on the front with the cable running down through the fork steerer, and make the bike all 1 colour to try and make it super stealth.

Everyone here seems to be agreeing. Let me be the devils advocate then :twisted:

I don't see the point with singlespeeds. Really don't get it. And why no brakes????? More intense experience?
Just don't get it.

(Love the sleek looks though :? )

I have brakes! Don't confuse singlespeed with fixed (although you can have both) - I'll be sticking with a freewheel thank you very much :LOL:

No brakes are for fixies, which to me are dangerous. Coaster brakes seem the best option. Imagine if you cramp up and can't coast. Not only cramp but various other bumps'n'cuts when you fall off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I get the SS thing but not fixies :?

rienster":35jilzz8 said:
Everyone here seems to be agreeing. Let me be the devils advocate then :twisted:

I don't see the point with singlespeeds. Really don't get it. And why no brakes????? More intense experience?
Just don't get it.

(Love the sleek looks though :? )

Whats the point in MTB's going to 10 on the back? Add 3 on the front and you have 30 gears! Most people on here get away with 21 gears. Even with that many gears most of the time you might only use a couple when your out riding at most. So I guess having a SS is like a big challenge.
Plus my bike being completely silent is a nice change from my daily rider, a full sus, as much as I love it it's noisy as!

Although I would never ride without brakes!

Latest posts

Back