Chain falls off when pedaling backwards after converting

jamesfawcett

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,

im a bit confused, ive converted my bike to 9speed with the help from people on here (thanks you know who you are! ) :)

IMG_2325.jpg

When pedaling backwards, the chain comes off, do i need to change the front crank too?

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

and my other question is, how am i supposed to fit the gear cables into these tiny slots do i drill them out bigger?

IMG_2328.jpg

thank you :)

Couple of things..

You chain is too long, you need to remove a link or maybe two to get better chain tension

Are you using a ramped chainring or a singlespeed specific chainring?

Both can contribute to losing your chain when back pedalling

Also you may have to fit a chain guide

Seen as you already have a bash guard, then something like a N-Gear Jump Stop should do the job

Thanks Andy,

yeah everything from the original bike was single speed from the factory,

cheers for the tip on the chain too, it has the quick release link in there, i read about chain tools ill have to get one

ill google N-Gear Jump Stop and have a look :)

the chain like has been said is too long. get a rivit tool and take some links out. some chain guide like the one pictured below should do the trick if positioned correctly. one of those dh ones that held in place by the bb is a bit extravagent

Attachments

• DCD%20Chain%20Guide[1].jpg
    DCD%20Chain%20Guide[1].jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,544
thanks ill get one ordered :)
i couldnt find the n-gear one in the uk just usa sellers, ill look for a uk alternate :)

the chain is also on a bit of an extreme angle, i dont know if you can see from this photo, but when in the lower gears its twisted like this and makes some awful sounds!

photo-23.jpg

as to the gear cables..simple

those slots are where the cable goes into ..when it has been ended

you know when the cable has an outer then at one end they normally put on a silver end and from that point you only see the cable itself..

thats why they have a slot big enough one side to fit the cable and outer in...then the other side is small because all it needs to allow the cable itself
through

it looks like the cable has been replaced and done in one long outer rather than a few smaller outers

I've borrowed this picture to show more easily

Attachments

• fr_505.jpg
    fr_505.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,519
jamesfawcett":pg71se0r said:
thanks ill get one ordered :)
i couldnt find the n-gear one in the uk just usa sellers, ill look for a uk alternate :)

the chain is also on a bit of an extreme angle, i dont know if you can see from this photo, but when in the lower gears its twisted like this and makes some awful sounds!

photo-23.jpg

its a little difficult to say when we cant see it for ourselves, but the chain is allways gonna be slightly twisted when in 1st gear. the rear mech probably justs needs adjusting. the spacing on the crank-bb hasnt changed, all you done is took the crank off and put it back on again

the only other thing i can suggest is to check the crank is fitted correctly

Back