Rockshox SID rear shock circa 1999/2000

old_coyote_pedaller

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
My wife's bike has one of these on it, I got it off eBay 5/6 years ago.
At the weekend I noticed shock was not moving, she was oblivious to it, so let out air on both main and negative chambers to see if it still moved.
It did so re-inflated both chambers but realise some time soon I'm going to have to strip and rebuild it with seal kit. The only seal kits I can find, eBay/web, are not full kits. Anyone know where I could get a full seal rebuild kit?

Also would like info as to what pressures to use on both main and negative chambers. I've got a download of the Rockshox SID 2000 manual but there's nothing definitive in it about this.

i asked similar last year didn't get much of a response either.

i was told same pressure in both chambers should be good.
only way to get the pressure right though is to sit on the bike and adjust the pressure till you have approx 10mm of sag.

do you think it could be similar setup to my manitou swinger shock?

if so there are details around for that
you pump up the stanchion and the chamber

but khane has some good info
you sure there are no vids on youtube or info on another forum?

i'll admit i did a fairly half arsed search in trying to find info about them, but even that turned up not alot, zero of which was useful. lol

setting the rebound on them is probably more annoying than setting the sag.
you'd have to ride off something to know how well it rebounds, adjust pressure, try again, adjust pressure, try again etc etc lol.

basicly you should be able to ride off a kerb and barely feel a thing and not be bounced out of the saddle.

i think it has on one of the labels on the shock body, adjust rebound/negative chamber to +/- 20psi of main chamber.

edinburgh bicycle co-op had them for sale on their ebay shop.

you could message them on ebay and see if they have any more in stock

or phone the shop 0131 228 3565

Thanks for the replies and help guys, will try out the advice.

Think I put approximately the same pressures in SID as I used in my Fox just so it hold up the back of the bike.

I did have a look at Edinburgh Bikes website the other day but there's zilch. Might give them a phone but I don't hold out much hope as I have twice been there to get parts for my Lefty and Headshok forks and each time I've been taken through to one of the mechanics so he could have a rummage in his personal spares stash. This from a Cannondale dealer FFS. They no longer inspire me with confidence, years ago I wouldn't have gone elsewhere for bike stuff but no longer.

We were out on our bikes this evening and at least the shock is working well enough for my wife with the pressures I put in.
Obviously I'd rather have it set up correctly and that's where Rob comes in, thanks for offer of time-limited loan of manual. :cool:

Rob, I'll PM you where I live just to make sure, think you know already.

OK, did some more Googling and found this site,
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... 2F&act=url
Had found it before but was reluctant to use it as I spent last weekend getting rid of a persistent virus/trojan on the computer and didn't want to risk it.
Anyway thought I'd post the Google translate link version of it.
If you click on the Instructions tab you get a page with links to manufacturers manuals but whether it's my computer or the site, when I click on the Rear shock 1999 RockShox SID the resultant manual page is all jumbled up. I can read it well enough to get the gist of it, but will go through it when I've got time and write it down.
There actually isn't any table of pressures for rider weights but there is a set of detailed instructions on setting up shock.
If anybody can get the page to show better than I'm getting please let me know.

The reason for it being all jumbled up is Google translate, used the translated version to find out which links to click in Russian and I got this,

http://www.birota.ru/manuals/rockshox/u ... rshock.pdf

Result. :D

I'd found that one a while ago but wasn't too sure if it directly applied to the older shock.

Have edited my earlier post due to me being stupid and not realising Google translate was effing it up.

Latest posts

Back