Tell me about external BB and hollowtech etc

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I'm getting a new frame (29er) and I've never used external BBs before - I know nothing about them.

What's the best BB to buy for a medium level price? What about cranks? Hollowtech? Need to be able to run singlespeed (but not singlespeed specific).

I guess I need a special tool for these BBs?

shimano xt dd is around £25 and are just the ticket, unless you want fancy colours. hollowtech 2 cranks are spot on and not expensive either.

there are very few modern developments that i actually think has really improved things but this system is a definate improvement

forgive my ignorance - are they all intercompatible? Will Shimano Hollowtech cranks work with Hope or other BBs?

Hope defo work with Hollowtech Ed and is the one I'd go for if I needed a new one. Saying that, I've been running an XT bb for years and it's still going.

IMO the external set up is the best bb system about so the one to go for on your new bike mate. All you need to do with them is make sure you clean between the crank and bb case after each ride. :D

orange71":6wuaato9 said:
forgive my ignorance - are they all intercompatible? Will Shimano Hollowtech cranks work with Hope or other BBs?
not all the truvativ/sram BB wont work with shimano crank, i think there is an adaptor that will allow the truvativ crank to work with shimano/hope BB

Latest posts

Back