Advice - Shimano LX or Raceface evolve xc

Drfunkenstein57

Dirt Disciple
I have a 1998 GT Zaskar that I am hoping to shave some weight off, as it is a tad heavy.
It currently has a very heavy UN73 bottom bracket with a Shimano LX chainset, both are considerably heavy.
I aim to replace these & save some weight, but not spoil the retro look of the bike.
I have a choice of replacing with either a Shimano "hollowtech II" bottom bracket coupled with a much lighter modern Deore LX chainset or A Raceface X type Bottom bracket with Raceface Evolve XC (X type) chainset.

Would I be better off sticking with the newer shimano or would The Raceface be totally out of keeping with the look of the bike?

One thing worth remembering is that the RaceFace bottom brackets don't last that long and will need replacing a lot sooner than competitors. The one I got with my Deus XC lasted about 10 months with daily road usage.

Yup, Race Face BB bearings are made from cheese. Buy a Hope BB and gloat in your wise choice of parts.

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the Raceface.
Can't afford a Hope BB at the moment, but if I start saving the pennies now, by the time the raceface BB is worn out, I will be able to get me a nice shiny Hope BB ;)

Drfunkenstein57":116pfem3 said:
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the Raceface.
Can't afford a Hope BB at the moment, but if I start saving the pennies now, by the time the raceface BB is worn out, I will be able to get me a nice shiny Hope BB ;)

My Raceface BB lasted less than 8 hours which is not unusual :?

Do you have the original rings on the LX chainset?

Anyway...
Are these 'assumed' weights or do you know them accurately ?

A UN73 bottom bracket isn't heavy in the steel square taper world at ~255g.
and the M569 (I assume it is) is about 680g
So 935g + the bolts to hold them on.

If you loose weight (you assume) and buy a modern LX, well you don't as they weigh ~935g (M570) all in, which is how they come.

EDIT just looked up
Race Face Evolve XC X-Type
That also has the same weight all in.

Advice is to not bother ;)

Or buy a second hand RaceFace Turbine LP and some light rings (current middleburn rings are quite heavy btw.) still then it's only 50g or so and you use Alu bolts.

Or go SLX level for a weight drop.

FluffyChicken":9gvziqgp said:

Anyway...

If you loose weight (you assume) and buy a modern LX, well you don't as they weigh ~935g (M570) all in, which is how they come.

EDIT just looked up

Or buy a second hand RaceFace Turbine LP and some light rings (current middleburn rings are quite heavy btw.) still then it's only 50g or so and you use Alu bolts.

Yep, still got the original 1998 rings on the old LX chainset, I also have a 2007 LX hollowtech II Chainset available with BB. Are the rings interchangeable between these models. I know I am asking the obvious, but you never know with shimano

Drfunkenstein57":2lmytjpr said:
FluffyChicken":2lmytjpr said:

Anyway...

EDIT just looked up

Yep, still got the original 1998 rings on the old LX chainset, I also have a 2007 LX hollowtech II Chainset available with BB. Are the rings interchangeable between these models. I know I am asking the obvious, but you never know with shimano

Only the middle and granny would be, unless you fit a 4 arms spider to the LX chainset (you get them on the STX-RC chainset of that year, MC40 I think).

Better check we are talking about the on in this picture, the big large silver spider with the big ring riveted to it
lxall.gif

It also came as a 5 arm.

Back