Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:02 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Modern Bike
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:04 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:13 pm
Posts: 59
Location: Maidstone Kent
Hi all, I have returned to mountain biking after a 12 year gap the bike I used to ride was a proflex 857 because I enjoyed that bike so much I have managed to get hold of a proflex 4000 K2 cheap. I have been riding that for about 2 months now but keep thinking of new stuff like a Giant full suspension I am 46 years old and wondering whether a more modern bike would be easier to ride as i am struggling a bit with fitness and my friends say a more modern bike would be easier to live with. Any Comments ideas would be most welcome


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:16 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 pm
Posts: 1290
Location: Looking at my bike from the comfort of my sofa!!
Nooooo. Dont do it.

I was in a bike shop today looking at Cube's. I picked one up and was quite shocked at how heavy it was. Not a patch on my Kilauea.

Stick with the Retro.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:22 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 1526
Location: Atherton, Manchester
Boardmans are lovely to ride, modern plush suspension and them new fangled disc brakes make for a lovely ride. Retro is ace but for regular riding and fitness bulding its modern all the way for me i'm afraid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:59 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11108
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
Pish.

Old top end is still much cheaper than modern mid range, buy old but buy wise and you can have a light snappy stealth fighter.

:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:24 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 2942
Location: Platsa, Messinias, Greece
I doubt that by today's standards the Proflex 4000 suspension is up to much (was it ever?) so I can well imagine it being a bit of a handful if you ever ride anywhere but fire roads and stuff like that. The ones that I've seen always looked like garden gates, too.

If you want to stick to riding older stuff you'd get (in my opinion) far more enjoyment out of a mid to late 90's Explosif or Kilauea with a set of 80-100mm Marzocchi forks.
Or something along those lines anyway - have a search on here and see what other people have built and ride (and like).

For more modern stuff you could get a nice steel frame (new or s/h) from the likes of Genesis, Cotic, Sanderson, Singular, Voodoo, Kona or whoever and build that up with 120-140mm forks, a decent wheelset and disc brakes.
With some careful buying of new and s/h components (from here, STW and the 'bay + online retailers) you can build a much nicer bike for your money than if you went into your nearest bike shop and took away something off the shelf.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:27 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 8479
Location: Fircombe.
No, don't do it! Middle age and carbon fibre don't mix. You'll get confused over what type of MAMIL you are, and could put your back out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat1GVnl8-k


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:58 pm 
eBay Outing Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 pm
Posts: 8000
get one of each?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:24 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11108
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
Andy R wrote:
I doubt that by today's standards the Proflex 4000 suspension is up to much (was it ever?) so I can well imagine it being a bit of a handful if you ever ride anywhere but fire roads and stuff like that. The ones that I've seen always looked like garden gates, too.

If you want to stick to riding older stuff you'd get (in my opinion) far more enjoyment out of a mid to late 90's Explosif or Kilauea with a set of 80-100mm Marzocchi forks.
Or something along those lines anyway - have a search on here and see what other people have built and ride (and like).

For more modern stuff you could get a nice steel frame (new or s/h) from the likes of Genesis, Cotic, Sanderson, Singular, Voodoo, Kona or whoever and build that up with 120-140mm forks, a decent wheelset and disc brakes.
With some careful buying of new and s/h components (from here, STW and the 'bay + online retailers) you can build a much nicer bike for your money than if you went into your nearest bike shop and took away something off the shelf.


That is what I meant to say, had I been sober. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:49 pm 
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:16 pm
Posts: 4144
Location: RetroModding™ since 1988
misteroo wrote:
Nooooo. Dont do it.

I was in a bike shop today looking at Cube's. I picked one up and was quite shocked at how heavy it was. Not a patch on my Kilauea.
Cube bikes are actually pretty lightweight compared to their contemporaries & represent very good value for money ;)

Modern bikes generally have much better performing suspension, which will offer a more comfortable & controlled ride compared to retro suspension

Modern bikes also generally have much better braking power and control with hydraulic discs

Yeah a modern bike would weigh more and cost more, but there is a significant performance difference in key areas & if you buy carefully you can get yourself a bargain of a bike.

You say you want a bike that's easier to ride.

I take it you mean one that is easier to pedal?

A quick tyre swap can sort that out, some tyres are heavy and draggy

Or do you mean something else when you say easier to ride?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:37 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 1526
Location: Atherton, Manchester
highlandsflyer wrote:
Pish.

Old top end is still much cheaper than modern mid range, buy old but buy wise and you can have a light snappy stealth fighter.

:)


My modern £1000 mid range is far better equipped than old school top end though, It runs sram X9 and X0 which is top notch, Rockshox reba race forks, Avid elixer R disc brakes with carbon levers, ritchey wheels, Alloy triple butted frame, etc all wrapped up in a nice 24lb package 8)

Dont get me wrong i love my retro, but the modern is far better on a daily basis.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group