Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:18 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 4:18 pm
Posts: 2336
A stuck-down shock will eject its air can at a hell of a rate, I'd be taking a few more precautions.

First thing to try is to pump it up really hard to see if you can blow it open again - Fox recommends 250psi. Then let all the air out, whether that works or not. Cycle the shock, release air again. Do that a few times - there's a good chance that some of the air the wrong side of the seal will creep back through as you cycle it so you may be able to get most of it out. Then take the can off. The usual method is a bar through the shock eye, but that's likely to hurt if it blows off. Best tip I've seen is to use one of those plastic strap oil filter wrenches with the other end of the shock in a vice and a cardboard box over the hole thing -- cut a slot in the side for the wrench handle. Can't go far then :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:54 pm 
Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 180
MikeD wrote:
A stuck-down shock will eject its air can at a hell of a rate, I'd be taking a few more precautions.

First thing to try is to pump it up really hard to see if you can blow it open again - Fox recommends 250psi. Then let all the air out, whether that works or not. Cycle the shock, release air again. Do that a few times - there's a good chance that some of the air the wrong side of the seal will creep back through as you cycle it so you may be able to get most of it out. Then take the can off. The usual method is a bar through the shock eye, but that's likely to hurt if it blows off. Best tip I've seen is to use one of those plastic strap oil filter wrenches with the other end of the shock in a vice and a cardboard box over the hole thing -- cut a slot in the side for the wrench handle. Can't go far then :)



Fox tech guys recommend the rag through the eye technique, if you put a bar through and it comes off with force it may damage the dust seal housing, I would go with the rag technique personally


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:26 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:16 pm
Posts: 4278
Location: Perfect Sound Forever
Interesting stuff guys...

I'm tempted to try Mikes solution first...

After that, I'll go for the Dangermouse approach. Already got three kids, so if I cop for an unfortunate one when the chamber blows off, it'll s`ave me a trip to the clinic...

Will report back on how things go...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:32 pm 
Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 180
ringo wrote:
Interesting stuff guys...

I'm tempted to try Mikes solution first...

After that, I'll go for the Dangermouse approach. Already got three kids, so if I cop for an unfortunate one when the chamber blows off, it'll s`ave me a trip to the clinic...

Will report back on how things go...



:lol: :lol:

If you do Mikes bar way just make sure you wrap the bar with cloth because if the seal lip gets damaged thats the cannister buggered mate :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:39 pm 
Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 180
Where in the country are you Ringo, if its not too far I will come and do it for you :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:43 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:16 pm
Posts: 4278
Location: Perfect Sound Forever
Corr Chief... that's a very kind offer. I'm on the East side of...... Leeds!

Yours


Penfold


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:45 pm 
Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 180
Funny you say Leeds and east, does that mean near Wakey lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:59 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 3:20 pm
Posts: 111
Location: South Bristol
bigmick wrote:


That was like some horrendous horror film where you know what's going to happen, you're waiting for it to happen, you're on the edge of your seat til it is does happen, and when it does, it still makes you jump...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:43 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 4:18 pm
Posts: 2336
Quote:
If you do Mikes bar way just make sure you wrap the bar with cloth because if the seal lip gets damaged thats the cannister buggered mate


I'm sort of hoping he's referring to trying the plastic filter wrench variation, given it's stuck down ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:16 pm
Posts: 4278
Location: Perfect Sound Forever
Problem now sorted - a million thanks to Pete (Dangermouse).

Pete came over and separated the shock - there was actually no air trapped so it didn't go with a bang. He then fitted the new seal kit and pressurised it to my preference...

As I say what a guy!

Hope the Karma gods are kind to you...


Rich


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group