Best specialized FSR

trickylad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Looking to jump in and get myself an FSR. Likely post 2006. What should I go for? Struggling to understand the differences even aft muchos research.

Enduro?
Stump jumper Comp/Expert?
FSR Pro?

Any advice / thoughts appreciated. Didn't want to hijack the FSR thread.

Ta

TL

What to look out for when buying FSRs....

1) Manitou forks that leak...
2) Play in linkages - most well-used ones will need an expensive full bearing change
3) Shocks: Triad shocks were less reliable than standard Fox. Brain shocks are also notoriously reliable so best not to buy second hand. Buy new so you get full warranty cover - they are nice while they work!

However there are some real gems. And some great mods from BETD.

I have a 2004 Stumpy M4 FSR frame which I bought from a guy in here for very little money while I was working at a Specialized dealership... So after changing the bearings and upgrading rocker to a BETD 130mm one, swapping Fox Float R with new Monarch RT3 shocks and fitting with Pace RC40 adjustable forks, I have a bike that can in a matter of seconds change from 100mm XC mode to 130mm AM mode. Same frame was standard up to the S-works version and was available in some pretty lowly specs as well as tarty ones....

Best bet is to buy a frame and build up the way YOU want it.

Love mine to bits - frankly prefer it to the current incarnation of the Stumpy.

AFAIK, though I believe through the years they changed slightly but generally:

Enduro is higher end all day mostly going down bike, trailish

Pitch is a cheaper version of above

Stumpie is all day up and down bike, XCish

FSR is Cheaper version of above

and as well as that the SX Trail is more your freeride chap. Unsure where the Camber comes in, between the stumpie and the FSR perhaps?

Camber is a cracking little bike for the money. Was very impressed with the first one we unpacked last summer.

Here's mine in 130 mode - with one Kaiser knows very well in the background! Both have had a few minor alterations since pic was taken.

35710_462058928081_672683081_6318088_1386931_n.jpg

dbmtb":3r3m5kmh said:
What to look out for when buying FSRs....

1) Manitou forks that leak...
2) Play in linkages - most well-used ones will need an expensive full bearing change
3) Shocks: Triad shocks were less reliable than standard Fox. Brain shocks are also notoriously reliable so best not to buy second hand. Buy new so you get full warranty cover - they are nice while they work!

However there are some real gems. And some great mods from BETD.

I have a 2004 Stumpy M4 FSR frame which I bought from a guy in here for very little money while I was working at a Specialized dealership... So after changing the bearings and upgrading rocker to a BETD 130mm one, swapping Fox Float R with new Monarch RT3 shocks and fitting with Pace RC40 adjustable forks, I have a bike that can in a matter of seconds change from 100mm XC mode to 130mm AM mode. Same frame was standard up to the S-works version and was available in some pretty lowly specs as well as tarty ones....

Best bet is to buy a frame and build up the way YOU want it.

Love mine to bits - frankly prefer it to the current incarnation of the Stumpy.

Thanks dbmtb.

I have a few options I suppose..

- buy off here and be patient for one to come up.
- get on off the bay for circa £700 built bike
- get a new stumpy expert FSR on bike 2 work scheme (effectively half price)

I hadn't heard the brain shocks were unreliable - why so?

And what is the BETD I notice you mention - heard of but never understood what they do/sell.

In terms of size, I'm 6'0. Assumed therefore that I'll need a large.

TL
-

kaiser":2w2utymv said:
AFAIK, though I believe through the years they changed slightly but generally:

Enduro is higher end all day mostly going down bike, trailish

Pitch is a cheaper version of above

Stumpie is all day up and down bike, XCish

FSR is Cheaper version of above

and as well as that the SX Trail is more your freeride chap. Unsure where the Camber comes in, between the stumpie and the FSR perhaps?

Thanks kaiser. That's the best attempt I've seen yet at getting the differences down...

trickylad":1hyuz8v9 said:
I hadn't heard the brain shocks were unreliable - why so?

And what is the BETD I notice you mention - heard of but never understood what they do/sell.

In terms of size, I'm 6'0. Assumed therefore that I'll need a large.

TL

Brain shocks with their inertia valves have a lot of moving parts and the inertia valve is prone to stop working. With MTB kit, less is more - from my experience. They are also non-user/dealer serviceable so you need to budget annual services.

BETD is the same as goldtech and do customised rockers which are a lot better than the originals. Clicky here
http://www.mountainbikecomponents.c...yID=48&Name=Specialized+Linkages+and+Upgrades

Size: I'm 1'72 and use medium but I'm also short-legged so need a lower seatpost/longer frame. So large will probably be right. But maybe XL....

trickylad":c4su2n6t said:
Thanks kaiser. That's the best attempt I've seen yet at getting the differences down...

It is but it goes wonky when older Enduros have less travel then modern Stumpjumpers....

And modern Epics have the same travel as old Enduros...

:p :p :p :p

trickylad":2h2gabhj said:
I have a few options I suppose..

- buy off here and be patient for one to come up.
- get on off the bay for circa £700 built bike
- get a new stumpy expert FSR on bike 2 work scheme (effectively half price)

They come up more often than you might think both here and on E-bay, especially in your size. Just hang in there. I think it only took me 6 weeks from when I started looking properly till mine came along.

Depending on what you need of course but the Pitch is the bargain bike of the lot. Rave reviews and can be picked up new cheapish*, of course only any use if its the bike you need, 6" travel and 30lbs or so.

*well they could, doesn't seem to be as many old stock going around.

Back