Recommend a cycle carrier for BMW 3 series

Mossy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've just got a new BMW 3 series great economy but useless for lugging stuff around like bikes. Can you recommend a suitable cycle carrier? I think BMW wanted £100 for their own make. Cheers.

i'm in a similar predicament with my 5 series.

even with both wheels off, the boot is just too small to drop the frame into.

to save messing around with a cycle rack all the time i'm going to invest in a bike bag and just chuck it on the back seat instead!

this one seems cheap enough to risk trying..... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41796

Get a roof mounted system, bit more expensive to start but much better for the car in the long run. I got my three bike set up for £30 by buying second hand.

Personally I cannot recommend a towbar rack highly enough, secure and won't damage your paintwork, but admittedly expensive.

The San Remo roof racks which use the front dropouts are good value and have done well for me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-BMW-CYCLE ... _650wt_922

I've got this set up for my one series - the three series and one series racks are identical. You can get them for about £100 for the lot second hand but they tend to be collection only. Being a bit tight for cash at the time I bought a bargain collection only set for a 5 series, took the bike racks off and sold the bars on but with postage available. I got enough back to pay for a new set of the right one series bars from BMW!!! Been really pleased with it and regularly carry 3 bikes at motorway speeds.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've found the Saris Bones 3 to be the best non-permanent rack I've ever used. But roof racks do look cooler.

Get a Volvo V70, no need to put the bikes on the outside. Safe and secure on the internal bike carrier.

Back