Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:45 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 112  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:43 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm just going to keep it that colour, it looks ok and a repaint will be expensive. I might get the decals done. Not sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:46 am 
Gold Trader / Special
Gold Trader / Special

a fresh powder coat is usually sub £50

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 pm 
Retro Guru

There must be something here I am not getting?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mountain-bike ... 35bab98b92

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:19 am 
Retro Guru

Bullpup wrote:
There must be something here I am not getting?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mountain-bike ... 35bab98b92

things are valued at how much someone is willing to sell and someone else is willing to pay

£300 is a fair price imo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:23 pm 
Old School Hero

My FSR is finished, I enjoyed two 3hour-rides already, feels great! Setup needs some small adjustments but that's okay ;)

Image Image

And some may remember my problem with the FD, i fixed that by using a screw with a smaller head. Easy, cheap and 2mm of space between the screw and the backbone...

Best
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

thats some tight tolerance you're running there! think i'll be sticking to 2x9 for a while!! although tempter to know where the screw came from...??? :P

that Ebay FSR has gone for a lot more than usual - i agree with what bullpup says, but interested to know why it went from £100 starting bid to £300 - especially since the feedback rating of the first bidder is so very low...
anyway, probs best left for another thread!

Grugru,i love the orange and red combo :) i have some lovely orange manitous i'd love to fix up and fit to my FSR :) - if only i could find them....?!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:21 pm 
Retro Guru

its been relisted, if you look at the sellers recent items its the same 2 bidders,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 pm 
Old School Hero

twain wrote:
thats some tight tolerance you're running there! think i'll be sticking to 2x9 for a while!! although tempter to know where the screw came from...??? :P

that Ebay FSR has gone for a lot more than usual - i agree with what bullpup says, but interested to know why it went from £100 starting bid to £300 - especially since the feedback rating of the first bidder is so very low...
anyway, probs best left for another thread!

Grugru,i love the orange and red combo :) i have some lovely orange manitous i'd love to fix up and fit to my FSR :) - if only i could find them....?!?!

Red? I didn't use red ;)

The screw is from a local metal store, I don't know how you call this in UK. Fine thread needed, usually these screws are way too long (2-3 inches), but cutting is quite easy.

Post subject: FSR Seat Stay
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Afternoon All

Has anyone got a pre 2000 Seat Stay - ideally the chunky silver one - that I can beg borrow or even buy. It must be pre-drilled to take a sharkfin.

Reason - I need one to use as a template before I drill mine to take an adapter and despite Twains kind help with photos etc I keep chickening out. It seems daft to pay someone else to do it.

I probably only need it for a day and will happily cover postage costs etc.

Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:17 am 
Retro Guru

Bought some mint 2001 Marz Drop Offs for my FSR but the steerer is a little too short, i have sent am email to Windwave for a price to fit a new steerer (believe its around £40-60)

In the mean time i picked up one of these as they were faaaarrr to cheap (£13 plus postage LOL) and the stock Rockshox Deluxe i was running has seen better days.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300697244647? ... 893wt_1171

Will dig out a few pics as i finished installing it yesterday, the bushing holes are 8mm and the 98 FSr uses 6mm bolts, so i popped over to B&Q and picked up a meter of 8mm OD steel tube for £1.83 in the clearance corner :)

The tube has a 1mm wall thickness, so i cut it down to size, pressed it through the X-Fusion bush spacers and it slotted right into the 98 FSR frame/linkage no trouble at all.

Mine came with a 650lb spring not the 550lb stated, which is fine as the stock Rockshox one i was using was 750lb and i was swapping back and forth between the 750lb one and a spare 650lb spring i salvaged from a BSO

It feels a lot better than the one i removed while blasting around the car park, and the lockout feature is great, pretty sure the adjustment knob is affecting both compression and rebound when fiddled with, but i have not broken in the shox yet so it could just be settling down.

I also used a few nylon washers either side of the bushing spacers, i think it was around a fiver for 25 of them :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 112  Next