hope bigun hubs.... have i bought too much wheel?

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i took a last minute punt on a pair of hope bigun / sup rimmed wheels on ebay, seemingly the disc bolts were rounded and the previous owner started to attack them with a drill to get the rotors off so we'll see how they look when they arrive and if the discs are salvageable or not.

i'm not actually planning on running the wheels with discs anyway, instead they are destined for an early 90's clockwork build but i'm wondering if i've bought a bit too much hub for my needs?

after a touch of reading i've discovered that they were designed as DH hubs so the big question is, will they stand out like a sore thumb on an xc derived clockwork?

i'll see how they look - could be a bargain for someone on here if they look a bit too daft!

yeah theyre fair sized, wonder what the weight is though?

will mak eteh clockwork look spindly i reckon

i grind rounded rotor bolts off, marks the disc but generally does a good job
salvages disc and hub (but disc is marked :? )

they were a bargain, thought about them myself but I'd just bought a set of older hopes, the early hopes are just as big and don't look bad on my xizang but mine are narrower. Those Big Un's are very red. :) :cool:

red is good - in fact the redness was the deciding factor:LOL:

as i said, worst case is my search continues for a more suitable set but they might just work as the only retro part on the clockwork will be the frame (should be covered in syncros / arch rivals / full x-9 etc. when finished) either way, someone is getting a bargain - i just hope its me!

wheels arrived today, i've only had a very quick glance but it looks like i might need a couple of new spokes chucking on them but all in all not to bad.

the disc bolts have been 'drilled' in a piss poor fashion, it may take a tad more than a quick pass with the grinder to knock them off and not damage the hubs.

size wise - they are pretty chunky but i think they might just work, failing that it'll look like a clowns bike!

jax13":3ia0p0ys said:
so the big question is, will they stand out like a sore thumb on an xc derived clockwork?

Yes..Very

And it would also be wrong to use them without discs. A fantastic hub designed by mad people for a purpose.

Back