Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Lights question - now sorted thanks
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=144854

Author:  raymondluxuryyacht [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Lights question - now sorted thanks

I would like to get a decent bar mounted light for cycling off-road in about 2 hours of darkness. I have a budget helmet mounted light which is ok, but it has a bit of a tight beam pattern and it doesn't penetrate quite far enough ahead into the dark for my liking.
I am considering the Hope Vision 1. What do others think about this ? Is it good enough for off-road ?
Also, does anyone know if there is a difference between the lenses in the Hope Vision 1 and the Hope Vision 1 Adventure ? I quite like the latter as then I don't have the weight of the batteries on the handlebars.

Author:  Tad [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lights question

I have a Hope Vision 1 that I use bar mounted for commuting and helmet mounted off road at night coupled with a Vison 2 bar mounted.

If you want one light for riding off road, at night then this isn't the one. If you're on a budget then for the same sort of money go for the deal extreme 900 lumen jobby, someone is bound to post a link soon.

Author:  stew-b [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

i can HIGHLY recommend these-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55125

wife has em on her bike,extremely bright,very well made,tiny battery and yet still lasted 6 weeks without a recharge using them 40 mins a day 5 days a week...(1 flashing)
check out the 9 images from manufacturers website-

http://www.electronlights.co.uk/lights/ ... le/terra-2

very very good lights for the money 8)

Author:  raymondluxuryyacht [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hmm. What's the build quality like ? It looks a bit plasticky in some of the pics. Also, what's the run time like ? I don't really need 900 lumens. 300 would probably be plenty.

Author:  D_XZ [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

I believe the lenses are the same.

I found my Vision 1 ok for commuting but a barely adequate offroad. It was a bit too much of a spot for me and didn't inspire confidence.

If you can stretch to it then I'd recommend an exposure diablo. It's a great lightweight light that good enough for off-roading in the pitch black in it's medium setting, giving 3 hours runtime. I use one as a helmet light but would be happy to have it as a bar light too. You can get battery expansion packs if you want to run it for a long time.

There's also various LED torch solutions that some people use which are much cheaper and powerful but the ones I've had a go with all had a typical torch beam spread while I like something wider for off road. I've seen mixed reports on reliability.

Author:  stew-b [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

raymondluxuryyacht wrote:
Hmm. What's the build quality like ? It looks a bit plasticky in some of the pics. Also, what's the run time like ? I don't really need 900 lumens. 300 would probably be plenty.

build quality is rock solid,a million times better than the £200+ vistalites i used 10 years ago.run times i think are on the website and seem pretty accurate.

Author:  REKIBorter [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

The Hope Vision 1 is not really enough for off-road night riding. I have the Vision 1 & 2 lights and the Vision 2 is so much better. The Vision 1 has a very pointy beam whereas the Vision 2 is a flood. Used the Vision 2 for years on regular night rides at Chicksands. Only recently upgraded to a double Ay-Up system for the ultimate offroad night riding experience.

Author:  Andy B [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

I would seriously consider the DX magicshine 900 lumen light, you don;t have to run it at 900 lumens, there are 3 settings on the one I have, high, low and flash

Excellent value for money

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ha-iii-ssc ... -set-25149

Author:  suburbanreuben [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

A couple of these, http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches ... 20-r4.html or even just one, are perfectly adequate for riding fast, offroad, at night. I've used two for the last two winters, one on the bars and one on me lid. They take ordinary, or rechargeable , AA batteries available anywhere.
Quality is second to none...

Author:  raymondluxuryyacht [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks. I have a fenix one already as my helmet light. Its the predecessor to the ld20 and its not really good enough for off-road use on its own, thougg it is a sturdy piece of kit and plenty good enough for commuting. I have the orange peel reflector for it which was recommended for bike use, but it seems to put all the light in one focussed spot. I tried it on the bar, which was worse so I am not that convinced two of those are the solution for me, though may see what else fenix do.
The electron unit is interesting, but it appears to be a twin head unit system. Is that right ? I'd prefer a single unit.
The dx units seem ok , but I am put off by the reviews. There are loads of comments about battery failures and the warranties do not seem to be honoured by the manufacturer.
The benchmark I am trying to achieve is the Hope Vision 2, but I am not willing to spend that much.

Author:  Whatleymeister [ Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:24 am ]
Post subject: 

I have just bought a Light & Motion Stella 150L. Mainly for road riding back from the pub down a pitch black road, and the light it kicks out is phenomenal! It is also reduced on Evans website from £199 to £99. It is really quite a small compact unit with a fairly small battery, high-med-low-flash settings. High setting reported to last up to 3 hours. You WILL blind oncoming drivers with it!! 8)

Author:  raymondluxuryyacht [ Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for the tip. Will have a look at that too.

Author:  GMC [ Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Lights

if you want the best value and brightest light you can get for your bike for under £50, then you want one of these!!!

UltraFire WF-501B SSC-P7 Front Cycle Light - 900 Lumens

Ebay Item number: 140522712300

We all use these lights and the beam is bloody amazing! Like 6000 HID Xenons on a car!! Plus running full beam easily gives 4 hours run time on a full charge plus the light comes with 2 rechargeable batteries and the charger!!

though the handlebar bracket that comes with it is rubbish so get one of these:

Bike Cycle Light Front Torch Mount Bracket Clamp Holder

Ebay Item number: 220767268606

As these hold the torch 100% secure, i even rode Glentress red route and Mabie red route on it no bother, light didn't wobble about or anything.

Also the torch is 100% waterproof too, as i've been out all winter in 80mph storms/ -15degrees ice and snow and the torch never let up once!

Cheers

Greig. :D

Author:  Andy B [ Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lights

GMC wrote:
if you want the best value and brightest light you can get for your bike for under £50, then you want one of these!!!
UltraFire WF-501B SSC-P7 Front Cycle Light - 900 Lumens
Ebay Item number: 140522712300
We all use these lights and the beam is bloody amazing! Like 6000 HID Xenons on a car!! Plus running full beam easily gives 4 hours run time on a full charge plus the light comes with 2 rechargeable batteries and the charger!!
though the handlebar bracket that comes with it is rubbish so get one of these:
Bike Cycle Light Front Torch Mount Bracket Clamp Holder
Ebay Item number: 220767268606
As these hold the torch 100% secure, i even rode Glentress red route and Mabie red route on it no bother, light didn't wobble about or anything.
Also the torch is 100% waterproof too, as i've been out all winter in 80mph storms/ -15degrees ice and snow and the torch never let up once!
Cheers
Greig. :D
The first item you mention has the same output as the DX magicshine 900 lumen light, which comes with a dedicated handlebar mount, so no need to buy a new mounting bracket. Plus it has a better spread of light for cycling. It would be OK for a helmet light, but not the best for on your bars.

The DX magicshine has a similar runtime & a much better light spread and comes with everything you need and costs ~£47 depending on the exchange rate

Author:  raymondluxuryyacht [ Sun May 01, 2011 10:15 am ]
Post subject: 

In the end I bought a 337 lumen fenix tk15. Worked fine for me last night riding 46 miles off-road. It was just about up there with my mates hope vision 2. Certainly plenty of light, even on bumpy, narrow forest trails.

Author:  THWANG-666 [ Sun May 01, 2011 12:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

the dx jobby are ok but no way near 900 lumens more like 600 i would go for the electron from crc much better built. or if you are any good with electronics why not a xm-l diy kit from troutie on singletrack.
si