Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:12 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:44 pm 
Retro Guru

I would like to get a decent bar mounted light for cycling off-road in about 2 hours of darkness. I have a budget helmet mounted light which is ok, but it has a bit of a tight beam pattern and it doesn't penetrate quite far enough ahead into the dark for my liking.
I am considering the Hope Vision 1. What do others think about this ? Is it good enough for off-road ?
Also, does anyone know if there is a difference between the lenses in the Hope Vision 1 and the Hope Vision 1 Adventure ? I quite like the latter as then I don't have the weight of the batteries on the handlebars.

Last edited by raymondluxuryyacht on Sun May 01, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Lights question
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:02 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Location: Wherever it is, I'm being just that little bit more Lance
I have a Hope Vision 1 that I use bar mounted for commuting and helmet mounted off road at night coupled with a Vison 2 bar mounted.

If you want one light for riding off road, at night then this isn't the one. If you're on a budget then for the same sort of money go for the deal extreme 900 lumen jobby, someone is bound to post a link soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:10 pm 
Retro Guru

i can HIGHLY recommend these-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55125

wife has em on her bike,extremely bright,very well made,tiny battery and yet still lasted 6 weeks without a recharge using them 40 mins a day 5 days a week...(1 flashing)
check out the 9 images from manufacturers website-

http://www.electronlights.co.uk/lights/ ... le/terra-2

very very good lights for the money 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:11 pm 
Retro Guru

Hmm. What's the build quality like ? It looks a bit plasticky in some of the pics. Also, what's the run time like ? I don't really need 900 lumens. 300 would probably be plenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:56 pm 
Retro Guru

I believe the lenses are the same.

I found my Vision 1 ok for commuting but a barely adequate offroad. It was a bit too much of a spot for me and didn't inspire confidence.

If you can stretch to it then I'd recommend an exposure diablo. It's a great lightweight light that good enough for off-roading in the pitch black in it's medium setting, giving 3 hours runtime. I use one as a helmet light but would be happy to have it as a bar light too. You can get battery expansion packs if you want to run it for a long time.

There's also various LED torch solutions that some people use which are much cheaper and powerful but the ones I've had a go with all had a typical torch beam spread while I like something wider for off road. I've seen mixed reports on reliability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:23 pm 
Retro Guru

raymondluxuryyacht wrote:
Hmm. What's the build quality like ? It looks a bit plasticky in some of the pics. Also, what's the run time like ? I don't really need 900 lumens. 300 would probably be plenty.

build quality is rock solid,a million times better than the £200+ vistalites i used 10 years ago.run times i think are on the website and seem pretty accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:22 pm 
Anglian Deputy AEC
Anglian Deputy AEC

The Hope Vision 1 is not really enough for off-road night riding. I have the Vision 1 & 2 lights and the Vision 2 is so much better. The Vision 1 has a very pointy beam whereas the Vision 2 is a flood. Used the Vision 2 for years on regular night rides at Chicksands. Only recently upgraded to a double Ay-Up system for the ultimate offroad night riding experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:26 pm 
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC

I would seriously consider the DX magicshine 900 lumen light, you don;t have to run it at 900 lumens, there are 3 settings on the one I have, high, low and flash

Excellent value for money

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ha-iii-ssc ... -set-25149

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:37 pm 
Old School Grand Master

A couple of these, http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches ... 20-r4.html or even just one, are perfectly adequate for riding fast, offroad, at night. I've used two for the last two winters, one on the bars and one on me lid. They take ordinary, or rechargeable , AA batteries available anywhere.
Quality is second to none...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:52 pm 
Retro Guru

Thanks. I have a fenix one already as my helmet light. Its the predecessor to the ld20 and its not really good enough for off-road use on its own, thougg it is a sturdy piece of kit and plenty good enough for commuting. I have the orange peel reflector for it which was recommended for bike use, but it seems to put all the light in one focussed spot. I tried it on the bar, which was worse so I am not that convinced two of those are the solution for me, though may see what else fenix do.
The electron unit is interesting, but it appears to be a twin head unit system. Is that right ? I'd prefer a single unit.
The dx units seem ok , but I am put off by the reviews. There are loads of comments about battery failures and the warranties do not seem to be honoured by the manufacturer.
The benchmark I am trying to achieve is the Hope Vision 2, but I am not willing to spend that much.