gt lobo setup

moto1

Retro Newbie
hi ive got an alu lobo '98 i think, how do you setup the rear shock i know it screws up and down but where do you need to set it? last time out the tyre kept hitting the linkage,

also is there anyway to internally tune the shock so it rebounds slower, got it at its slowest and its still a bit fast, (its a new shock) im used to a dhx5 and this is so much more basic.
but it rides really nicely, corners beautifully and its setup light, will be used more for trail riding.
thanks

From memory, winding the shock in and out of the thread alters the angles of the frame. I guess if you've got problems with tyre clearance then set it so that the tyre won't rub or change the tyre.

As for the shock. I seem to remember that the external adjuster alters the compression damping only. It's a strange way of doing things as most shocks with only one external adjuster are rebound adjustable. I think this has got something to do with it being a pull-shock on the Lobo.

I also found that the rebound on my Lobo was too fast but the shock was old and needed a service. I fitted a NOS shock to mine that fixed the problem. If you want to adjust the rebound of your existing shock I suggest you change the oil for something heavier. You can adjust the internal shim stack that restricts the oil flow on the rebound circuit but unless you know what you're doing or can find suitable shims and the information regarding which shims to use and in what order I'd stick to the oil change ;)
From memory these shocks don't have any presurised nitrogen inside (again because it's a pull shock). BUT, if you do decide to take the shock apart be careful as things can fly out!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... light=lobo

hope fully ive got it where the tyre misses the frame now,
but numpty that i was whilst trying to spin the main shock body i managed to unscrew the piston from inside and shims washers oil went everywhere! think ive got it back together in the right order after finding a diagram on another thread but only had 10wt oil so used that and its far to fast, will go to a shop tomo and get some maybe 20wt, no idea what the stock weight was.
from what i can work out from looking at the internals the adjustable knob alters both compression and rebound.

Back