Carbon Bars - torque settings

Eddie King

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm starting to get a bit of a creak from my carbon bars (the bike hasn't been dropped)....I read somewhere else about the carbon grease that you can apply before tightening....anyone know what it's called ?

Also...what torque setting should I be using on the bars ( Easton EC70 )

All and any advice gratefully received

Ritchey Liquid Torque & Ritchey do a tool called a Torque Key which has a 4mm hex key which torques up to 5Nm

Thanks for the speedy response guys

I was aware of not wanting to overtighten but it would be reassuring to know for sure....so I guess I just need to know what Easton would have recommended for those bars

dbmtb":12mze66q said:
4/5nm

Ritchey tool is a real money saver. A workshop without one is not a proper workshop.

Thankyou.....did you just hear the clatter of the keyboard ? :LOL: ....that's Paypal in action....so swift so silent that I never realise how much I've just spent :roll:

The thing with carbon is it is complex.

Torques needed depend on the stem as well as the bars.

If there is sufficient area of contact you may not need to tweak them up to the max.

My tendency with carbon is to suck it and see, the design of the stem can make so much difference.

Be very aware that recommended torques can be exceeded if they were recommended dry.

highlandsflyer":3i0apqxl said:
Be very aware that recommended torques can be exceeded if they were recommended dry.

Thanks....this was why I asked the question...have no previous experience with carbon but have a very good idea of what my face could end up like if they fail....

Please could you explain your comment i.e. at the moment they were assembled dry...but if I use the recommended Fibre paste how does that change the equation ?

I have no idea about the properties of the paste referred to.

Generally all torques are effected by lubrication.

I would seek advice from the manufacturer.

:)

highlandsflyer":2q7xdgl2 said:
I have no idea about the properties of the paste referred to.

Generally all torques are effected by lubrication.

I would seek advice from the manufacturer.

:)

Carbon paste has gritty bits in it to help grip the carbon. You can use less torque than normal without any slippage. It works, simples.

Back