Help me identify/restore this Bontrager Privateer S

johnnystorm

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone!

I made the classic mistake of last minutebidding with my heart and not my head on eBay. Practical upshot is that I'm now the "proud" owner of what must be the least well looked after Bontrager in Christendom. :roll:

Anyhoo, I'm in for the long run with this and intend to get it back to something approaching respectable.

Dunce/n00b questions:

1) Any idea when this bike was made (any cluesfrom the scrap of paint left!?)?
kgeyq.jpg

2) Once the top cap is off a Chris King NoThreadset is there anything apart from a decade plus of corrosion holding the steerer/headset in?

3) Once the bolts are out is there anything else holding XTR V-Brakes onto the studs (apart from the aforementioned rust?)?

4) A quick search on here suggest someone called Gil might be able to source some new transfers, would they, or you fancy making me some? :D

I've doused everything in a gallon of penetrating fluid, with any luck the forks will have dropped out over night (wishful thinking).

This evening was spent pulling all the parts off and the long term plan is a fresh powder coat. Once someone has been able to confirm the correct age of this old shed I'll post some more pics detailing the full horror of this bike..... :oops:

Back