Kerrack!

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Mmmm...loud kerrack sound on the way home last night....'that didn't sound good' I said to myself as I gingerly continued my way home.
Couldn't see anything obvious last night...but this morning I found the source.
Now I know my chain has to cope with huge levels of torque from my muscular, powerful thighs....but that's a bit rubbish for a nice expensive chain innit?

cardiff005.jpg

cardiff004.jpg

Interesting that is right next to the quick link...though not a pin that would be touched if adding or remove links for chain length.

Lucky escape there, that would have been a big gentleman's vegetable to toptube contact if it had snapped.

ive had this happen a couple times :cool: (damn right im good) :LOL:

my thought is, where the pin is machined out or whatever it looks to have created a flange which would be the weakpoint

suburbanreuben":3r32q8om said:
KMC eh?... :roll:

Yeah, but on a SRAM or Shimano that would have gone completely, not held on right? I might give KMC a go if it fails without snapping. Knowing my luck I'd be getting friendly with my stem in that situation though.

i use sunrace hollow pin these days. dont laugh they are cheap as chips, shift fine, and never failed me yet. just replace it every couple of months. 8 speed only tho
cant remember ever having a failure like that without the chain going fully, and usually where ive done a bad job of taking a few links out.

Tazio":buwva1w9 said:
...... would have been a big gentleman's vegetable .....

Can you tell that from HB's profile pic ;)

Was the chain overly manhandled getting the chain connector installed?

Seems a strange one fo shoo

Never had this problem with SRAM ......... ;)

Back