BBC 1 now, The Flying Scotsman

:D I think his intiative should have been applauded not slated.

If it had been USA he would have been branded a genuis for building his own homemade bike...and still beating the crap outta Cboardman, who it seems had a lot more funds.

On the downside though, if Obree and Boardman were so damn good why didn't they win the Tour?.

Aka bradley wiggins another has-been, sorry but it annoys me these british are so damn good yet they never win the tour.

I know people are going to say it's pollitics & drugs etc.

I'm sure Mr wiggins is damn well funded with sky though :D

passiflora":3ljpfkld said:
:D I think his intiative should have been applauded not slated.

If it had been USA he would have been branded a genuis for building his own homemade bike...and still beating the crap outta Cboardman, who it seems had a lot more funds.

On the downside though, if Obree and Boardman were so damn good why didn't they win the Tour?.

Aka bradley wiggins another has-been, sorry but it annoys me these british are so damn good yet they never win the tour.

Genetically very few people are able to win the tour. Mark Cavendish & Mario Cipolini have won a lot of stages but unless there is some sort of selective virus going around did not/will not ever win the overall. CB was an outstanding TT/pursuit rider but did not have the DNA to let him do that for three weeks. The athletes' hour he did still ranks in my top five 'top effort' rides. It probably knocked three years off his life span!
One day a British rider will emerge with the necessary Deoxy-Ribonucleaic-Acid.

passiflora":3ovgkqgz said:

That's a bit like asking why Ussain Bolt has never won the 100m - Marathon double Gold. Boardman of course did transfer to the road with some success but apart from a good showing in Dauphiné Liberé one year his palmares were stictly against the clock (i.e. time trials).

passiflora":3ovgkqgz said:

Wiggins is another matter. Has been he is not. Tour contender? We'll find out...

John":3eqkfwvp said:
passiflora":3eqkfwvp said:

That's a bit like asking why Ussain Bolt has never won the 100m - Marathon double Gold. Boardman of course did transfer to the road with some success but apart from a good showing in Dauphiné Liberé one year his palmares were stictly against the clock (i.e. time trials).

passiflora":3eqkfwvp said:

Wiggins is another matter. Has been he is not. Tour contender? We'll find out...

Boardman also suffered from a lack of experience in massed-start racing prior to turning pro with GAN (though as an amateur he did memorably put one over on the British-based pros with a fine Tour of Lancashire overall win) which partly accounted for him suffering more crashes in the bunch than most.
Wiggins - agreed, definitely no has-been! 3rd overall in Paris-Nice this year so "so far, so good". Interestingly this has coincided with him rejoining the GB track squad for the Olympic build-up - I wonder if their training regime suits him better? After all, his TdF 4th place in 2009 came partly on the back of an incredibly successful track campaign under the wing of Brailsford & co.

David

David B":2qc0q5ke said:
[Interestingly this has coincided with him rejoining the GB track squad for the Olympic build-up - I wonder if their training regime suits him better? After all, his TdF 4th place in 2009 came partly on the back of an incredibly successful track campaign under the wing of Brailsford & co.

David
i'd personally put this down to him possibly getting more acclaim from the public with olympic track sucess than he would feasibly manage in the tour.
Ask joe public to name a british cyclist and they'll say chris hoy, or maybe boardman (who made tabloid headlines in 92 with his olympic win). Only those in the know are likely to say wiggins or cavendish. Realistically, he's not likely to win the tour, but a podium is possible.

Back