headset removal

make sure the frame is held firmly, any movement will just dissipate the force. if you have any old plastic pipe, then thats good as a removal tool, and also for fitting the crown race

i use an old scabby handlebar and mallet
you can get the homemade presses on ebay for £6
and i do recall seeing the proper removal tool (split bit of pipe) for a tenner, was x tools i think or something similar

i have tried a seatpost which gripped it pretty well and a lump hammer and it didnt budge. I dont wanna snap the frame coz im giving it a good wack. Might give the LBS a ring see what he will charge

£20 will buy you a cyclus cup remover. works really well in my experience, it hasn't failed me yet.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I use a copper pipe thats about an inch OD, and rest it against the lip of the race that is to be removed, then some sharp blows at regular points around the race, just to dislodge it... Then just a gentle tap or two will get them out without them flying out and damaging.

As has been said, make sure you clamp the frame nicely, and the reason I use copper - soft metal with rounded edges just to reduce any chances of scoring... which you'll more then likely get with a screwdriver... ;)

Kinda off topic but if you have a stubborn headset cup the feeling of satisfaction when it eventually does pop and ping across the floor is huge. :D

Tazio":lslqm0s5 said:
Kinda off topic but if you have a stubborn headset cup the feeling of satisfaction when it eventually does pop and ping across the floor is huge. :D

yeah your damn right
but (and like everyone on here i suspect), your next thought is where the feck did that go?! followed by half hour of searching :LOL:

Back