Cable Discs the ins & outs.

passiflora

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Just wondering can you use any levers on cable disc brakes?.

Anything I should worry about when setting them up?.

also what are aligator rotars?.

Thanks for the help this all new as I'm old skool & haven't used discs B4.

Passiflora

any v brake levers yes (was the case with my old bb7,s)

set up cable tension like a v then adjust to suit with lever adjusters

alligator rotors are just a brand of disc with saw edged teeth as far as im aware ;)

alligator dont just do saw tooth types

they 'copy' most of the big brand ones
as are a few other companies

im using alligator pads on my brakes actually
totally forgot they were alligator till the other day, so they get a thimbs up from me :cool:

think of them as another superstar type company

:) so if I have a 160 & a 180 rotar....can I have colours ? :oops:

the wheels are 6 bolt.

Thanks for the answers :)

Avids bb7 are the only cable discs worth the money .

They use 160 , 185 and 203 rotors .

And you will the correct adaptors for your forks and frame depending on size of rotors and IS or PM .

:) Has anyone tried the Kooka cable brakes?.

I like the avids but I'm a tight skint and the Kooka appear quite reasonable price wise

yes you can get coloured rotors in any size (bar 9 inch i think, but you certainly wont be needing them :LOL: )

i think idb1 tried the kooka brakes and quite liked them :cool:

sounds perfect thanks.

I might need a big size.... I have lots of weight to stop :oops:.

I've just got hold of some silver crossride so like the A'team a plan is coming together.

Just watch over the coming month for the hilarous shouting swearing and bitching as I try to fit it all together.

Still dont get this aligator shape thing, also noticed some discs are fixed?. What the hell does that do?

Thanks for the info so far

Even 160's will stop you just fine.

I have heard issues with larger disks and fork mounts not designed for such high breaking forces. I don't ride hard enough to care, it's probably just a health n safety don't sue me type warning.

Alligator is a brand name, nothing to do with shape of disk. They make disks in all designs and breaking surface patterns.

Most common now are 6 bolt rotors.
Some newer hubs use a splined centre lock disk.

The mounting of the caliper onto the frame is more than likely IS, International Standard mount. The forks maybe IS or PM, Post Mount.

Adapters are available to fit pretty much any caliper to any mount width and size rotor, eg.
IS - IS +20mm
PM - IS +10mm.

Calipers that bolt directly to the frame or fork mounts are designed for specific diameter disks.
Washers and adapters allow you to change that.

You could mask the braking surface and spray the rotors if you like, they get hot, or so I'm told, if I went faster, shouldn't affect the paint.

Back